Re: wu-ftpd on RH 7.2

From: Gregory A Lundberg (gregory_lundberg_at_alltel.net)
Date: 08/18/05

    Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 23:19:14 -0400

    "Alan J Rosenthal" <flaps@dgp.toronto.edu> wrote in message
    news:2005Aug17.150644.1330@jarvis.cs.toronto.edu...
    > >http://www.wu-ftpd.org/broken-clients.html
    >
    > Of course, despite that document's wild claims about greater RFC
    > conformance
    > (in the first sentence), this behaviour is quite contrary to the principle
    > of
    > "be liberal in what you accept", as espoused in section 1.2.2 of RFC 1122.
    > They knowingly broke compatibility with some ftp clients, to no advantage.
    > This is not RFC-compliance, and it's one of the many reasons so many
    > people
    > have moved away from wu-ftpd this decade.

    Well, it's been about four years since I left, but I don't know about so
    many people moving from WU-FTPD this decade. When I was running the site I
    was shipping several thousand copies per day. As to the stuff about 1122 ..
    I put it in because there were exactly two clients which didn't work.

    His problem is almost certainly a firewall issue unless his server load goes
    to 100% at the same time. In that case he's probably doing ls -alR and then
    he's probably got a circular symlink somewhere; but I thought I'd fixed that
    five years ago.