Re: Help with (relatively) securely deleting files?

From: Barry Margolin (barmar_at_alum.mit.edu)
Date: 04/10/05

Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 16:01:48 -0400

In article <slrnd5j0ej.2lp.bevakupf@myhome.net>,
 "Bev A. Kupf" <bevakupf@myhome.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 21:13:03 +0200,
> Bodo Eggert (7eggert@7eggert.dyndns.org) wrote:
> >
> > see man shred.
>
> Unfortunately GNU shred is not on this system.
>
> Beverly

So download it. Assuming it doesn't require special privileges, you
should be able to run it out of your own account.

Anyway, what you probably should do is overwrite each file in the
hierarchy with as many bytes from /dev/random as there were in the
original file. In traditional filesystems, overwriting a file reuses
its disk blocks. This should be good enough for non-military-level
security needs.

I think it should be easy to write a perl script that accomplishes this.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

  • Re: recover deleted document. (recycle bin cleared)
    ... > overwrite the data area vacated by Windows, ... The downloaded file may overwrite the free space. ... Download on another pc. ...
    (microsoft.public.word.newusers)
  • FTPGetFile overwrite problem
    ... If file already exists then this returns false and doesnt download file. ... Iindicates whether the function should proceed if a local file of the ... If fFailIfExists is TRUE and the local file ... I figured setting this to false would overwrite the file. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.general)
  • Re: What exactly does "Apply Media Information Changes?" do?
    ... It looks like it will overwrite your files based on the naming ... convention set when you rip music.. ... I think it's suppose to download ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: Pesky Home Page
    ... overwrite the homepage on startup. ... the spyware in it and overwrites the homepage settings ... DO NOT download it. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)