Re: Disk cloning script...

From: Nancy Rudins (nrudins_at_ncsa.uiuc.edu)
Date: 04/10/05

Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 08:08:19 -0500

Stachu 'Dozzie' K. wrote:

> On 09.04.2005, Michael Pelletier <mjpelletier@mjpelletier.com> wrote:
>> Stachu 'Dozzie' K. wrote:

>>> Hmm... `dd if=/dev/hda of=hda.dump' isn't sufficient?
>>>

>> Here is the situation. I have two disks let's say ad0 and ad1. How could
>> I use the dd command to mirror disk ad0 to disk ad1? I have a disk that I
>> think will go bad (acd0) and need to mirror it to a new disk (acd1)
>> before it dies...
>
> Quite simple. Let me assume that you're using some sort of
> FreeBSD Live CD[*] and want to mirror whole disk /dev/ad0 to /dev/ad1
> (ad1 has to be not smaller than ad0). Boot FreeBSD and start rescue
> shell, then type something like this:
> #v+
> dd if=/dev/ad0 of=/dev/ad1 bs=4096

Don't forget to include seek=1 skip=1 or you'll omit the block 0
bootstrap block. In other words, the command should be

dd if=/dev/ad0 of=/dev/ad1 bs=4096 seek=1 skip=1

When you're finished, it would help to fsck /dev/ad1

fskk /dev/rad1

Kind regards,
Nancy

--
Flame War is over ... if you want it.
Nancy Rudins       nrudins@ncsa.uiuc.edu

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Calculus XOR Probability
    ... I don''t know what you mean by "a line of some sort, ... A disk contradicts a line? ... No, but if you say "you have an elephant in your backyard", and I say ... A disk is not a sequence of points. ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: Mainframe Power - Was RE: Another Light goes out
    ... How far off is IBM from offering SSD technology in their disk arrays? ... whereas HDD dies slowly in most cases. ... send email to listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: "Depreciated" Parameters In SPFILE
    ... the SORT_AREA_SIZE did affect the number of sorts to disk, ... switched from a one pass sort to an optimal sort. ... Total IO sort cost: 4931 Total CPU sort cost: 992293034 ... total temp space used = estimated amount of temporary space needed ...
    (comp.databases.oracle.server)
  • Re: Directory sorted in chronological order
    ... SH> The ST is an optimisation technique and as such is never neccesary. ... SH> results in a stat system call and system calls are slow, ... SH> worse it may require waiting dor a disk read which is even slower ... SH> for the sort, which is *much* better. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: Directory sorted in chronological order
    ... # time perl testtime1.pl ... > SH> worse it may require waiting dor a disk read which is even slower ... To make matters even worse stat calls need to access ... The sort comparison function is ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)