Re: Disk cloning script...

From: Stachu 'Dozzie' K. (dozzie_at_dynamit.im.pwr.wroc.pl.nospam)
Date: 04/10/05

    Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 23:25:17 +0000 (UTC)

    On 09.04.2005, Michael Pelletier <mjpelletier@mjpelletier.com> wrote:
    > Stachu 'Dozzie' K. wrote:
    >
    >> On 09.04.2005, Michael Pelletier <mjpelletier@mjpelletier.com> wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I was wondering if anyone had, or knew of, a disk cloning script. I need
    >>> the script to make an exact copy of a system disk for backup purposes.
    >>
    >> Hmm... `dd if=/dev/hda of=hda.dump' isn't sufficient?
    >>

    > Here is the situation. I have two disks let's say ad0 and ad1. How could I
    > use the dd command to mirror disk ad0 to disk ad1? I have a disk that I
    > think will go bad (acd0) and need to mirror it to a new disk (acd1) before
    > it dies...

    Quite simple. Let me assume that you're using some sort of
    FreeBSD Live CD[*] and want to mirror whole disk /dev/ad0 to /dev/ad1
    (ad1 has to be not smaller than ad0). Boot FreeBSD and start rescue
    shell, then type something like this:
    #v+
    dd if=/dev/ad0 of=/dev/ad1 bs=4096
    #v-
    and wait until dd ends copying data. Then you can halt your machine,
    exchange disks on controller and you should be able to boot old system
    from the new disk.

    [*] Using Live CD here is not quite bad idea since you suspect that old
    disk is going to fail and want to minimize the old disk's use before
    finishing backup.

    --
    Feel free to correct my English
    Stanislaw Klekot

    • Re: Calculus XOR Probability
      ... I don''t know what you mean by "a line of some sort, ... A disk contradicts a line? ... No, but if you say "you have an elephant in your backyard", and I say ... A disk is not a sequence of points. ...
      (sci.math)
    • Re: "Depreciated" Parameters In SPFILE
      ... the SORT_AREA_SIZE did affect the number of sorts to disk, ... switched from a one pass sort to an optimal sort. ... Total IO sort cost: 4931 Total CPU sort cost: 992293034 ... total temp space used = estimated amount of temporary space needed ...
      (comp.databases.oracle.server)
    • Re: Directory sorted in chronological order
      ... SH> The ST is an optimisation technique and as such is never neccesary. ... SH> results in a stat system call and system calls are slow, ... SH> worse it may require waiting dor a disk read which is even slower ... SH> for the sort, which is *much* better. ...
      (comp.lang.perl.misc)
    • Re: gpart failing with no such geom after gpt corruption
      ... GPT boot. ... HDDs, then new zpool on them, and finally data went back to RAIDZ. ... After a while I've noticed some SMART errors on ad1, ... disk to match exact size of others. ...
      (freebsd-current)
    • Re: Directory sorted in chronological order
      ... # time perl testtime1.pl ... > SH> worse it may require waiting dor a disk read which is even slower ... To make matters even worse stat calls need to access ... The sort comparison function is ...
      (comp.lang.perl.misc)