Re: Disk cloning script...

From: Stachu 'Dozzie' K. (dozzie_at_dynamit.im.pwr.wroc.pl.nospam)
Date: 04/10/05

    Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 23:25:17 +0000 (UTC)

    On 09.04.2005, Michael Pelletier <mjpelletier@mjpelletier.com> wrote:
    > Stachu 'Dozzie' K. wrote:
    >
    >> On 09.04.2005, Michael Pelletier <mjpelletier@mjpelletier.com> wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I was wondering if anyone had, or knew of, a disk cloning script. I need
    >>> the script to make an exact copy of a system disk for backup purposes.
    >>
    >> Hmm... `dd if=/dev/hda of=hda.dump' isn't sufficient?
    >>

    > Here is the situation. I have two disks let's say ad0 and ad1. How could I
    > use the dd command to mirror disk ad0 to disk ad1? I have a disk that I
    > think will go bad (acd0) and need to mirror it to a new disk (acd1) before
    > it dies...

    Quite simple. Let me assume that you're using some sort of
    FreeBSD Live CD[*] and want to mirror whole disk /dev/ad0 to /dev/ad1
    (ad1 has to be not smaller than ad0). Boot FreeBSD and start rescue
    shell, then type something like this:
    #v+
    dd if=/dev/ad0 of=/dev/ad1 bs=4096
    #v-
    and wait until dd ends copying data. Then you can halt your machine,
    exchange disks on controller and you should be able to boot old system
    from the new disk.

    [*] Using Live CD here is not quite bad idea since you suspect that old
    disk is going to fail and want to minimize the old disk's use before
    finishing backup.

    --
    Feel free to correct my English
    Stanislaw Klekot

    • Re: Calculus XOR Probability
      ... I don''t know what you mean by "a line of some sort, ... A disk contradicts a line? ... No, but if you say "you have an elephant in your backyard", and I say ... A disk is not a sequence of points. ...
      (sci.math)
    • Re: "Depreciated" Parameters In SPFILE
      ... the SORT_AREA_SIZE did affect the number of sorts to disk, ... switched from a one pass sort to an optimal sort. ... Total IO sort cost: 4931 Total CPU sort cost: 992293034 ... total temp space used = estimated amount of temporary space needed ...
      (comp.databases.oracle.server)
    • Re: Directory sorted in chronological order
      ... SH> The ST is an optimisation technique and as such is never neccesary. ... SH> results in a stat system call and system calls are slow, ... SH> worse it may require waiting dor a disk read which is even slower ... SH> for the sort, which is *much* better. ...
      (comp.lang.perl.misc)
    • Re: gpart failing with no such geom after gpt corruption
      ... GPT boot. ... HDDs, then new zpool on them, and finally data went back to RAIDZ. ... After a while I've noticed some SMART errors on ad1, ... disk to match exact size of others. ...
      (freebsd-current)
    • Re: Sorting algorithms was: Factorial
      ... I usually need the sort ... 30-50MByte/sec from Disk to Disk. ... DstFile on the same disk, respectively 25 seconds with DstFile on another ... temporary files (Tmp1 and Tmp2) should be used instead of the merge-arrays. ...