Re: Disk cloning script...

From: Bev A. Kupf (bevakupf_at_myhome.net)
Date: 04/10/05

Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 23:25:11 GMT

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 15:51:45 -0700,
    Michael Pelletier (mjpelletier@mjpelletier.com) wrote:
>> Hmm... `dd if=/dev/hda of=hda.dump' isn't sufficient?
>>

> Here is the situation. I have two disks let's say ad0 and ad1. How could I
> use the dd command to mirror disk ad0 to disk ad1? I have a disk that I
> think will go bad (acd0) and need to mirror it to a new disk (acd1) before
> it dies...

You would use something like: `dd if=/dev/acd0 of=/dev/acd1 bs=512`
However, if you think that acd0 is failing, you should really take
a look at dd_rescue <http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/>

Beverly

--
Many a smale maketh a grate -- Geoffrey Chaucer

Relevant Pages

  • My Hard Drive is Failing
    ... My hard drive is failing, ... I have a fresh new copy of XP and a bigger hard drive happily sitting on a shelf together nearby, waiting for the day when the drive just dies. ... It reminds me of the sound my battery backup makes when it switches from its external AC to its internal battery, so I'm not sure just what I'm hearing. ...
    (rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons)
  • Re: Injector lifespan
    ... to find one of them dies next week. ... It's all a case of how much risk you want to take, ... inconveniance another failing would be. ...
    (uk.rec.cars.maintenance)
  • Run-time error 91:
    ... I made this code as simple as possible to get to the bottom of the ... Now instead of failing some of the tine, it dies all the ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.programming)