Re: Free Random Password Generator

From: Bruno Wolff III (bruno_at_cerberus.csd.uwm.edu)
Date: 10/07/04

Date: 7 Oct 2004 03:29:10 GMT

In article <cjsfol$i55$1@nntp.itservices.ubc.ca>, Bill Unruh wrote:
> ibuprofin@painkiller.example.tld (Moe Trin) writes:
>
> ]In article <cjq2qd$flq$1@nntp.itservices.ubc.ca>, Bill Unruh wrote:
> ]>ibuprofin@painkiller.example.tld (Moe Trin) writes:
> ]>
> ]>]Big fscking deal - anyone can do
> ]>
> ]>]head -2 /dev/random | uuencode ZZZZ
> ]>
> ]>]then take the first 10 or twenty characters of the result.
> ]>
> ]>And then immediately forget it.
>
> ]Nah, you're supposed to write it down on a yellow sticky note
> ]and paste it to the monitor. If it's got to be secret, you
> ]hide the sticky note under the mouse pad.
>
> Yup. sounds right. In fact that is the only thing you can do with passwords
> like that.

My personal experience is that it is easy to remember 8 character passwords
generated fairly uniformly over the set of printable characters if I actually
type them in on a regular basis. I suspect the problem is that a lot of
people balk at using such passwords without really trying them or they
rarely ever enter their password making it harder to remember random
strings.

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Linking Password Length to Write-down probability
    ... It dont matter what type of password you give to a end user, ... it on a sticky note and leave it under there keyboard. ... passwords or allow the end user to make up there own password, ... > then safely contained, under the keyboard, or on the monitor. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Secure Your Network -- NSA-Style
    ... airtight network security, urging you, for example, to enforce a password ... passwords at least once every 90 days. ... sticky note on the monitor. ... They say you shouldn't say anything about the dead unless it's good. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Passwords
    ... If you require complex passwords the easiest way to get into a system is to look for the sticky note with the passwords on it. ... Most people could not login to the systems the next morning until they saw him. ...
    (rec.woodworking)
  • Re: A (not) new security idea
    ... > under their keyboards (or on the face of the monitor) with their ... look at your post it note passwords are the same people that have ... unmonitored physical access to your computer. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Interesting side effect of the new IE patch
    ... > a) people write passwords into their URLs ... > IE password remembering function or attach some notes to their ... > monitor, so removing this feature has NOT improved security) ... It hasn't completely fixed security, ...
    (Full-Disclosure)