Re: crack 5.0

From: Robert McGraw (rmcgraw_at_math.purdue.edu)
Date: 08/27/04

    Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:42:29 -0500

    HUH!

    I just ran ./Crack -fgnd passwordfile so I am not sure what I was running.

    I started searching the manual.txt file and found Crack6 and Crack7 in the
    extra directory but not sure how they work.

    So I assume I was not running the brute force option.

    Thanks

    Robert

    "Mike" <mikee@mikee.ath.cx> wrote in message
    > In article <cgljfv$b3s$1@mozo.cc.purdue.edu>, Robert McGraw wrote:
    > > I need to get a program that can check our passwords on a Sparc Solaris.
    > >
    > > A long time ago I used a program called Crack and went looking and found
    > > Crack 5.0.
    > >
    > > I untar'ed it in a directory and compiled and it compiled without
    errors.

    > > I then created an account with a very simple 3 letter password and put
    the
    > > one line password in a local file.
    > >
    > > I then ran Crack -fgnd localpasswdfile
    > >
    > > but it did not detect the simple password and when I ran Report.
    > >
    > > So my questions:
    > >
    > > 1) Crack is a very old program. It there something newer, better, etc.
    that
    > > I should use.
    > >
    > > 2) How can I get Crack to just run some simple test such as a user name
    > > spelled backward, etc? I modified the conf/dictrun.conf file to do this
    but
    > > again I did not find the simple password. Under older versions I thought
    > > there was a parameter to do this.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Robert
    > >

    > Did you run crack using the dictionary or using brute force?
    >
    > Mike

    • Re: Cost of a brute force attack
      ... >> it would take a computer billions of years to crack. ... > do know that if it is, it won't be broken by brute force methods. ... can 56bit DES be brute forced? ... have tried to find weaknesses and haven't found any, ...
      (sci.crypt)
    • RE: Code to recover passwords
      ... There are numerous places that purport to crack passwords, ... When you password protect a document Word displays: ... extremely strong and would take quite a bit of brute force to crack. ... Look at some of the replies people get in these groups... ...
      (microsoft.public.word.vba.general)
    • Re: Cost of a brute force attack
      ... >I was wondering how much it would cost to brute force 256bit Blowfish ... It may be possible to crack it, but if that is done, it will certainly be by ... a crack of blowfish by a method faster than ...
      (sci.crypt)
    • Re: sqlagentcmdexec
      ... All passwords should be "strong" to deter brute force cracking. ... your tool will crack any ... This area is being tightened up in SQL 2005. ... Looking for a SQL Server replication book? ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
    • Re: crack 5.0
      ... Thanks for all your help and replies. ... When I ran Crack in the background it produced the D file that Report was ... Robert ...
      (comp.security.unix)