Netcat Problems

From: Devon Reed (devon_at_jiffysquid.com)
Date: 04/26/04

Date: 26 Apr 2004 11:53:47 -0700

Whenever I try to connect to my web server using the following
command:

nc -v XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX 80

I get the following result:

nc: forward host lookup failed: h_errno 11001: HOST_NOT_FOUND

I don't get it. Is netcat trying to lookup an IP address when I've
already supplied one? Also, very very infrequently, the connection
succeeds, so I know that my syntax is correct, but 99% of the time
this is the error message I get. This seems to be the simplest of
netcat commands, and I can't get off of the ground even with this.
Help!

Devon

Relevant Pages

  • netcat strange behaviour
    ... I recently came across a very stupid behaviour of netcat - the one in base system ... (/usr/bin/nc in my FreeBSD 5.4-RC3). ... I just wanted to connect to a POP3 server, ... I issued the following command: ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: generic privellage escalation
    ... > with a response to the browser ESCALATE TO a netcat created port for ... > connecting to a shell ... > side include command execution/privellage escalation? ... unless the command you can run is 'sh | netcat';) ...
    (Vuln-Dev)
  • Re: [Full-Disclosure] DCOM RPC exploit
    ... by: illwill ... You got a command prompt access to the victim box!! ... @echo useage is "target remote-ip" ... first open a recieving netcat connection on your own computer ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Connecting Fortran code to TCP/IP socket
    ... server via streaming TCP/IP socket connection. ... If you invoke your program with the netcat command the standard input ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: any tips for this script
    ... lookup like the whichcommands would be doing.... ... I hope to have given the appropriate context, that the command _idiom_ ... "lineage" of software tools versus another. ... a portable version of your script, ...
    (comp.unix.shell)