Re: system hacked, need help

From: Colin McKinnon (colin.thisisnotmysurname_at_ntlworld.deletemeunlessURaBot.com)
Date: 10/26/03

Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 23:49:55 +0100

Rich Teer spilled the following:

> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Song Zhang wrote:
>
> We had this a week or so ago...
>
>> I have an Enterprise 450 from Sun. Last night, the server seemed to be
>> hacked. Whenever I use more,
>
> If you used the system to check the system, you can have
> ZERO confidence in the results. If the attacker got root
> access, he could've modified binaries to make his changes
> invisible.

Maybe this would be a good time to think about a file based IDS (actually,
last week might have been an even better time). Not sure about the status
of tripwire, but L5 is free.

C.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: system hacked, need help
    ... >> I have an Enterprise 450 from Sun. ... the server seemed to be ... he could've modified binaries to make his changes ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: sunmanagers digest, Vol 1 #2105 - 7 msgs
    ... >This is a logical disk. ... The question is whether those pre-defined partitions ... >are because of something Sun is doing, or if its something EMC is doing. ... >> server and configuration server, image server is the same server. ...
    (SunManagers)
  • Re: Upgrading SBS 2000 to Enterprise versions
    ... Also once we shift from the standards to the enterprise version, do we still use the transition cals, or do we need to buy different ones? ... Once you remove the SBS server and move the FSMO roles to the Enterprise server...this is no longer an SBS domain..there are "contraints" remaining ... Windows Server and Exchange on new hardware, one machine for Server one for ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Sun Managers Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
    ... The List Server maintainer is Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill dot ... What fields can I use to filter Sun Managers email? ... newsgroups and mailing lists around to cover the marginal topics. ...
    (SunManagers)