Re: r-commands

From: Chris Mattern (syscjm_at_gwu.edu)
Date: 10/17/03

Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 17:35:09 -0400

Sherman H. wrote:
> Is any way to check if r-commands are used in the AIX? We are trying to
> create a rule to stop using r-commands for security reasons. Will this be
> worthwhile?

Step one: Open /etc/inetd.conf (make a backup first)
Step two: Find the shell, login, and exec entries and put a "#" in the first
column of them.
Step three: Save /etc/inetd.conf
Step four: run ps -ef to find out the PID of inetd.
Step five: kill -HUP [inetd PID]

You have just turned off the all the r-command servers on your box.
This is *very* worthwhile, as the r-commands are severely insecure.
Replace with opensshd if the functionality is still required.

                       Chris Mattern

Relevant Pages

  • Re: r-commands
    ... Sherman H. wrote: ... SH> create a rule to stop using r-commands for security reasons. ... Your question is about general UNIX security, not AIX itself. ...
    (comp.unix.aix)
  • Re: r-commands
    ... > Is any way to check if r-commands are used in the AIX? ... > create a rule to stop using r-commands for security reasons. ... Iain. ...
    (comp.unix.aix)