Re: Secure Rlogin

From: Nick Hilliard (nick_at_foobar#delete2email#.org)
Date: 05/26/03

Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 10:38:45 +0100

2Host.com - Robert wrote:

> Or, to be more specific, that's basically what SSH _is_.

Not quite: ssh is a complete reimplementation from scratch which does
the same sort of things (+ lots more), but different in that it was done
the Right Way. rlogin is plain old rlogin, with all its faults and
failings, and SRP will always play second fiddle to SSH in the security
stakes: it's vulnerable to MITM attacks, and doesn't encrypt the data
stream after login. Why anyone would want to try to round off the
corners of a square wheel like rlogin is just beyond me.

Nick

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Data conversion EBCDIC to ASCII
    ... OMVS to start a UNIX shell. ... telnet, rlogin, SSH to log into UNIX. ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: Data conversion EBCDIC to ASCII
    ... OMVS to start a UNIX shell. ... telnet, rlogin, SSH to log into UNIX. ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: ssh and rlogin problem
    ... >I have a powerful user which can only be accessed via su as rlogin is ... >I have setup ssh keys so this user can ssh from 1 server to another ... >ssh to the other server. ... PermitRootLogin overrides the rlogin setting for root. ...
    (comp.unix.aix)
  • Re: Data conversion EBCDIC to ASCII
    ... OMVS to start a UNIX shell. ... telnet, rlogin, SSH to log into UNIX. ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: How to pass user name and password when telnet to a machine
    ... >>rlogin to a machine to avoid user interaction. ... > You can put the machine name, username and password in the .netrc file ... The .netrc file contains data for logging in to a remote ... If you think you can't use ssh, ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)