Re: Method for intrusion

From: Joe Lofshult (jlofshult_at_cox.net)
Date: 05/04/03

    Date: Sat, 03 May 2003 23:31:00 GMT

    I would highly recommend making a backup image of the filesystems before
      wiping and reinstalling. Grab a copy of FIRE from biatchux.sf.net.
    It's a great incident response and forensic toolkit. It's a bootable
    distribution you can use to make a backup of the filesystems on your
    system. I recommend you use dd to make sure you get the entire
    filesystem. If you don't have a tape drive on the system, you can always
    use netcat to send the backup images to another system. For example, on
    the target system run

    nc -l -p 10001 > filesystem.img

    and on your compromised system which has been booted from the FIRE disk, run

    dd if=disk_device | nc target_ip 10001

    where disk_device is your filesystem device (e.g. hda1).

    You can then investigate further at a later time.