Re: Encrypting again an already encrypted file increase security ?

From: Andrew Swallow (am.swallow@eatspam.btinternet.com)
Date: 02/20/03

From: "Andrew Swallow" <am.swallow@eatspam.btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 03:16:54 +0000 (UTC)

"Alun Jones" <alun@texis.com> wrote in message
news:jiW4a.1164$FH1.553474223@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com...
> In article <3e53eb2a.84625264@news21.on.aibn.com>, Lew_Pitcher@td.com
wrote:
> >Yah, /I/ was thinking of encrypting some data with my private key, then
> >encrypting the encrypted data with my public key, but I realized that,
> >instead of doubly-encrypted data, the end result would be the unencrypted
> >data <grin>.
>
> Okay, so we have obvious examples of where applying a process described as
> "encryption", followed by another process also described as "encryption"
> results in a null encryption - we've also seen (with 2DES) a process
wherein
> two encryptions result in significantly less than the expected twice the
> effective key length. This suggests that, without careful analysis, a
random
> or naive application of encryption followed by more encryption is, at the
very
> least, not "twice as strong", and at worst, may be less strong, and
possibly
> even, in the pathological case, return the plaintext. My point is simply
that
> encrypting and encrypting again is only worth relying on to be more secure
> than either encryption if the effect of the "double encryption" has been
> analysed in as much depth as either encryption.
>
> The fact that the pathological examples sound stupid doesn't invalidate
that
> point.

An interesting example is applying the Caesar cipher twice. This moves
each letter on by 2 * 3 = 6 characters. This has the same strength as a
single
encryption, just a different key variable.

Andrew Swallow

Relevant Pages

  • Re: EFS - Encryption and User Migration
    ... > 4) SOURCE holds user accounts and groups ... > network login script depending upon their logonserver. ... create a dummy user, setup the encryption, migrate the account to the other ... > and encrypted data, we have no real way of knowing this. ...
  • Re: EFS - Encryption and User Migration
    ... > 4) SOURCE holds user accounts and groups ... > network login script depending upon their logonserver. ... create a dummy user, setup the encryption, migrate the account to the other ... > and encrypted data, we have no real way of knowing this. ...
  • Re: EFS - Encryption and User Migration
    ... > 4) SOURCE holds user accounts and groups ... > network login script depending upon their logonserver. ... create a dummy user, setup the encryption, migrate the account to the other ... > and encrypted data, we have no real way of knowing this. ...
  • Re: Attaching conditions to RIPA ?
    ... then they must have reasonable suspicion that the encrypted data ... knows that the police have such a suspicion. ... it a point *not* to tell a suspect everything they know or suspect. ... The encryption program created a new key ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: Windows XP Professional Log On to Windows Screen
    ... you don't have to go to Safe Mode to get to the Administrator ... If you did this, you may not have backed up the account certificates, since ... If you invoked encryption, and change the password from outside of the ... you will *never* get encrypted data back. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)