Re: Encrypting again an already encrypted file increase security ?

From: Andrew Swallow (am.swallow@eatspam.btinternet.com)
Date: 02/20/03

From: "Andrew Swallow" <am.swallow@eatspam.btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 03:16:54 +0000 (UTC)

"Alun Jones" <alun@texis.com> wrote in message
news:jiW4a.1164$FH1.553474223@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com...
> In article <3e53eb2a.84625264@news21.on.aibn.com>, Lew_Pitcher@td.com
wrote:
> >Yah, /I/ was thinking of encrypting some data with my private key, then
> >encrypting the encrypted data with my public key, but I realized that,
> >instead of doubly-encrypted data, the end result would be the unencrypted
> >data <grin>.
>
> Okay, so we have obvious examples of where applying a process described as
> "encryption", followed by another process also described as "encryption"
> results in a null encryption - we've also seen (with 2DES) a process
wherein
> two encryptions result in significantly less than the expected twice the
> effective key length. This suggests that, without careful analysis, a
random
> or naive application of encryption followed by more encryption is, at the
very
> least, not "twice as strong", and at worst, may be less strong, and
possibly
> even, in the pathological case, return the plaintext. My point is simply
that
> encrypting and encrypting again is only worth relying on to be more secure
> than either encryption if the effect of the "double encryption" has been
> analysed in as much depth as either encryption.
>
> The fact that the pathological examples sound stupid doesn't invalidate
that
> point.

An interesting example is applying the Caesar cipher twice. This moves
each letter on by 2 * 3 = 6 characters. This has the same strength as a
single
encryption, just a different key variable.

Andrew Swallow

Relevant Pages

  • Re: EFS - Encryption and User Migration
    ... > 4) SOURCE holds user accounts and groups ... > network login script depending upon their logonserver. ... create a dummy user, setup the encryption, migrate the account to the other ... > and encrypted data, we have no real way of knowing this. ...
  • Re: EFS - Encryption and User Migration
    ... > 4) SOURCE holds user accounts and groups ... > network login script depending upon their logonserver. ... create a dummy user, setup the encryption, migrate the account to the other ... > and encrypted data, we have no real way of knowing this. ...
  • Re: EFS - Encryption and User Migration
    ... > 4) SOURCE holds user accounts and groups ... > network login script depending upon their logonserver. ... create a dummy user, setup the encryption, migrate the account to the other ... > and encrypted data, we have no real way of knowing this. ...
  • Re: Attaching conditions to RIPA ?
    ... then they must have reasonable suspicion that the encrypted data ... knows that the police have such a suspicion. ... it a point *not* to tell a suspect everything they know or suspect. ... The encryption program created a new key ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: Crypto-DASD?
    ... exchange of encrypted data, as well as to easily encrypt DSS and/or ... General Support Email: aspgtech@xxxxxxxx ... DASD encryption does not add any real security value. ... Search the archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)