Re: privacy on Unix-servers

From: phn@icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Date: 01/22/03

From: phn@icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 19:44:06 +0000 (UTC)

steve <icestore@web.de> wrote:
> I am user of a Unix-server (actually IRIX) that is connected with the
> internet. I am also quite a newbie on Unix, so my question now is, if
> the administrators (or you call them super-users AFAIK) are able to
> check and read my data that I store in my account. And could they
> possibly trace all my actions?

Administrators can always read your data , this is nothing unique of
unix it's merely a fact of "powerful users".

They could probably trace your actions too, but this would be
an offence in many countries.

> Very probably you can't know how this is in my special case, but maybe
> there are some standards in the Unix-OS architecture that make an
> intrusion into the privacy impossible.

PGP will take you very far, and this on _any_ architecture.

--
Peter Håkanson

  • Re: Announce: Alpha release of BDB-BASIC
    ... which is in itself a form of a shell though inferior in functionality. ... One place where the "UNIX" applies is in the PRINT statements. ... Some BASICs are unable ... The Trace facility allowed you ...
    (comp.lang.basic.misc)
  • Re: Compromise of the nobody account?
    ... "nobody" would normally be seen during the wee hours, ... or unknown security hole. ... UNIX is meant to be "professionally maintained", ... expecting them to be experienced system administrators is a bit much. ...
    (comp.security.unix)
  • Re: Keep only the tail of the dataset
    ... For example keep only the last part of the trace. ... I guess you would need to "pipe" the output to ... starting the UNIX receiver process when your program starts. ... be allocated and the daemon started in a prior job step. ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: Number of Admins per Server
    ... you might want several administrators with different ... The UNIX architecture doesn't lend itself to this, though, ... privileges go. ... administrators are those with the root password, ...
    (comp.unix.admin)
  • Re: CDE to Java Desktop
    ... > At what point in their experience do you suggest that administrators, ... That is a tool for Windows users not UNIX ... > system administrators. ... place for easy, though limited, GUI administration for novices? ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)