Re: avoid DoS

From: Bernd Eckenfels (ecki-news2002-09@lina.inka.de)
Date: 09/29/02

From: Bernd Eckenfels <ecki-news2002-09@lina.inka.de>
Date: 29 Sep 2002 15:38:59 GMT

Bernd Felsche <bernie@innovative.iinet.net.au> wrote:
>>Eh? What do you mean by a tarpit? Because I can't think of a
>>meaning that makes sense out of your posting.

> Think harder.

> Delay the response to the undesirable incoming connection.
> Transmit response very, very slowly. Pretend to be a very slow
> server.

This does not help against a syn flood or a ip packet flood (smurf, ..)

Tarpits are made against spam and perhaps for detecting attackers. They are
very little help to DOS Attacks on the network level.

There might be some DOS Attacks on application level but usually those are
defended with tother means more easyly (like blocking the originator).

Greetings
Bernd