Remote buffer overflow in resolver code of libc <- Linux too?

From: J. Reilink (digiover@dsinet.org)
Date: 06/28/02

From: "J. Reilink" <digiover@dsinet.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 07:42:56 +0200

I find Joost Pol's advisory
(http://www.pine.nl/advisories/pine-cert-20020601.asc) pretty unclear.
Does this vulnerability only affect *BSD or also Linux versions like
Debian and Slackware (which are BSD oriented)?

[...]
"Platforms: FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, maybe more."
[...]

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Grtz, Jan

--
Dutch Security Information Network (http://www.dsinet.org)
E-mail digiover [at] dsinet.org

"Hi, I'm a signature virus. Copy me into yours and join the fun! :)"

Relevant Pages

  • Re: oh no something is definitly wrong adieu debian.
    ... intend to try distro anew, ... The company was sending a set of 40 floppy disks containing Slackware to ... people who wanted to get Linux. ... "The Debian Project grew slowly at first and released the first 0.9x ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Distro question
    ... > I would suggest a Debian based distribution such as knoppix (or even Debian ... > GNU Linux itself), etc. ... Fedora is an experimental distro that I would stay ... Slackware is great for its simplicity and lack of bureaucracy. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Good Linux distro for old computer
    ... why are you using old versions lf Slackware? ... Also, I'm surprised Debian 3 ... 386DX-40 with 8mb RAM, I'd think Linux could ... Forking refers to creating ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: This has happended too many times before...
    ... Horseshit. ... try Slackware. ... try Debian. ... Linux, because a CPU is a terrible thing to waste. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Remote buffer overflow in resolver code of libc <- Linux too?
    ... Does this vulnerability only affect *BSD or also Linux versions like ... Debian and Slackware? ...
    (comp.security.unix)