Re: What is this? A hacker?

From: @lexandros
Date: 05/27/02

From: "@lexandros" <alexandos@sklavos.de>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 20:06:04 +0000 (UTC)

"@lex" <alexandros@sklavos.de> wrote in
news:Xns921B64E9C4D69alexandrossklavosde@131.246.137.51:

> Recently my system (linux SuSE 7.3) crashed several times...
> I found following, quite interesting entry in last:
>

> ***** 0*******0*** Thu Jan 1 01:00 - crash (11831-01:24
>

> Does anybody know what is this?
>
> Notes.
> 1. There are more entries like this one, and the user is still logged
> on 2. Obviously, the dates are not correct. But if one could
> manipulate last, why not completely erase the entry??

I found what it was... Kevin was right, it was a corrupt wtmp file but
the interesting is, how it got corrupted.. with netdate !!!! I have a
netdate cron job running and it writes garbage to the wtmp file each time
it runs.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: What is this? A hacker?
    ... why not completely erase the entry?? ... netdate cron job running and it writes garbage to the wtmp file each time ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: What is this? A hacker?
    ... why not completely erase the entry?? ... netdate cron job running and it writes garbage to the wtmp file each time ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: What is this? A hacker?
    ... why not completely erase the entry?? ... netdate cron job running and it writes garbage to the wtmp file each time ...
    (comp.security.unix)
  • Re: Run time code execution
    ... your code is garbage:) ... > You're committing whatever memory FMemory happens to point to on entry and ...
    (borland.public.delphi.language.basm)
  • Printer not working after upgrade
    ... We have the following entry in the printcap file which used ... to work properly under v5.1.Now after the upgrade its prints ... garbage. ...
    (Tru64-UNIX-Managers)