Re: SNMP community strings

From: Nick Krontiris (nkrontir@hotmail.com)
Date: 05/25/02

From: nkrontir@hotmail.com (Nick Krontiris)
Date: 25 May 2002 07:47:49 -0700

Dave Pimlott <newsgroups@SPAMFILTERdavepimlott.info> wrote in message news:<3CEE424A.B780960B@SPAMFILTERdavepimlott.info>...
> Nick Krontiris wrote:
> >
> > I'm stuck trying to change the snmp community strings on a unix box. I
> > have changed the read, write and system-group read and write
> > communities in /etc/snmp/conf/snmpd.conf as well as the read/write
> > community strings in /etc/snmp/conf/snmdx.acl and
> > /etc/snmp/conf/mipagent.acl, but they either remain public, or when I
> > query the machine with the new community string, it doesn't reply
> > back!
>
> how did you make sure that the new settings had taken effect?
>
> Dave Pimlott

After that, I restarted then snmp daemon and run a snmp query on the
machine using a command line from a linux box, querying the "public"
community strings, as well as from a windows machine running
solarwinds. The answer came back normally, just like before. Then, I
queried again using the new community strings, but no answer came back
meaning that the new queries did not use the community strings I had
set, but the default public ones.
I thought that maybe there were more daemons running that involve
snmp, so I rebooted the unix box.
To my surprise, my manual query from my linux box as well as
solarwinds replied once more that the community strings were set to
"public".
So I guess the answer to your question is that I restarted the daemon,
and after I saw that this did not work, I rebooted the machine...