Computer host names - recommendations

From: Mike Thomas (r53804@email.sps.mot.com)
Date: 03/09/02

From: "Mike Thomas" <r53804@email.sps.mot.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 17:12:13 -0700

I've been searching for some guidelines/recommendations on hostnames. One
of my peers is suggesting that all systems be identified with a hostname
which would include whether the system is a server and the function of the
system, along with the physical location. Does anyone know of any white
papers or security guidelines on this topic? My first thought was that I
didn't know if it was a good idea to identify all of your critical systems
via their names. The counter-argument was that these are all internal and
won't be seen on the internet. Then, of course, there is the infinite joy
in entering "snisaz34-0012" whenever one wishes to telnet to a particular
system, in this case a NIS server at an Arizona location. I guess this is a
common practice in really large enterprise IT environments?

Thoughts? Opinions? Links to well-reasoned papers?

Thanx,

Mike Thomas

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Computer host names - recommendations
    ... > I've been searching for some guidelines/recommendations on hostnames. ... It's covered by the internet RFCs ...
    (comp.security.unix)
  • Re: Computer host names - recommendations
    ... > I've been searching for some guidelines/recommendations on hostnames. ... in this case a NIS server at an Arizona location. ... As for naming host names by location, I think this is a double-edged ...
    (comp.security.unix)
  • SSH, NAT, and authorized_keys2 file data. . .
    ... Internet as the communictions link. ... and public addresses will be translated to private ones. ... the hostnames registered with the Internet. ... I'm thinking they should be the public hostnames, as the UNIX systems ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: SSH, NAT, and authorized_keys2 file data. . .
    ... Both systems are behind firewalls ... > and public addresses will be translated to private ones. ... > the hostnames registered with the Internet. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: How to find IP address of a machine on network?
    ... Host appears to be up ... ... "Obfuscation apparent" because it isn't showing hostnames? ... You do not seem to have the actual address of your Internet. ...
    (Ubuntu)