Re: Password Management (Not user a/c)

From: Vladimir Menkov (vmenkov@cs.indiana.edu)
Date: 12/27/01

From: vmenkov@cs.indiana.edu (Vladimir Menkov)
Date: 26 Dec 2001 23:44:37 GMT

In article <a0c413$mbn$1@nyheter.crt.se>, <phn@icke-reklam.ipsec.nu> wrote:
>Get sudo, and stop using root's password ( it could be written down and
>hidden in a safe somewhere )
...>
>Now with the advent of sudo the life is much better, everyone uses
>their personal login/password EVERYWHERE, and sudo is configured
>to allow rights to commands according to roles. There is no "root-password"
>to care about ( the only moments you might need it is during singleuser
>boot's if so configured)
>--
>Peter Håkanson

I fully agree with Peter's suggestion of using "su".

On Solaris, by the way, one convenient alternative to "su" is "slide";
check the man pages. I don't know if it is available on HP-UX too,
though.

 ------------------------------------- La ley es tela de araña
| Vladimir Meñkov, in Vancouver, BC | --En mi inorancia lo esplico--.
| vmenkov@cs.indiana.edu | No la tema el hombre rico;
| http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~vmenkov | Nunca la tema el que mande
| | Pues la ruempe el bicho grande
| http://aplab.rutgers.edu/ant | Y sólo enrieda a los chicos.
 ------------------------------------- (Jose Hernandez, L.V.M.F.)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: make release fails on find
    ... potentially not safe ... I will roll a release using sudo (just for my own ... in the top-level directory of your releng/9.1 ... With just the merge above now 9.1-RC3 ends up recursing. ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: $SAFE=0 for setuid?
    ... Yes, running with sudo will have $SAFE set to 0, however, I'm ... This doesn't allow user input into a terminal so I cannot use sudo (see: ... However it does allow the entire script to be run as admin using the ... I start Ruby directly or I start ruby through sh), ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)
  • Re: make release fails on find
    ... potentially not safe ... I will roll a release using sudo (just for my own ... so this is my fault. ... in the top-level directory of your releng/9.1 ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: $SAFE=0 for setuid?
    ... Yes, running with sudo will have $SAFE set to 0, however, I'm currently wrapping the script in an app bundle using Platypus. ... With this entry point then, it doesn't seem to matter what I do (whether I start Ruby directly or I start ruby through sh), $SAFE is always 1 when the script starts. ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)
  • Re: [opensuse] Hijacking: sudo fails
    ... At least that's how it has always been configured on the Solaris, HP-UX, Irix, and other commercial unixes that I administrated in the auto ... Well, playing the devil's advocate, it is very difficult to control ALL the programs that sudo can invoke. ... There are just way too many things to forget or get wrong when setting up sudoers. ...
    (SuSE)