Re: SSH tunnels woes with Putty

On Dec 26, 10:49 am, Jacob Nevins <jac...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Al writes:
I REALLY hope someone here can help me. I have been trying to setup a
SSH tunnel so that when I surf the net on my laptop I can SSH into my
Ubuntu box at home and go through that for web page traffic.

Now I tried to connect to Ubuntu@home from laptop running Win7 with:

putty -ssh my.dyndns.org -l username -P 443 -D 8080 -v

and the connection establishes just fine, but when I surf to
whatsmyip.org I get a different WAN IP to my Ubuntu WAN IP.

and later:

Thanks - still not working but only with IE8. FF is fine ala:

http://img593.imageshack.us/f/helpt.jpg/

In that screenshot, in what looks like IE's proxy configuration dialog
(second from the left at the top), you have "Automatically detect
settings" checked. There's a note above that saying "Automatic
configuration may override manual settings. To ensure the use of manual
settings, disable automatic configuration." Could that be the source of
your problem?

Good spotting Jacob. I had picked up on that myself and have tried it
with and without - no diff.

  • Re: Static IP address assignments [WAS Re: NIC Settings for IBM Thinkpad T30 / wired & wireless]
    ... you have a very specific configuration. ... I simply prefer the static settings of all connected units in a very ... if I'm not plugged into ethernet and a wireless network that I ... sometimes Windows XP Pro and now Ubuntu and like to identify each ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Submited bug. Please review: User Switcher crashes on user B, user A can work only in text mode.
    ... without a complete re-install, ... something within user A's configuration, ... directories that will reset user A's program settings back to their ... Well, I've learnt my lesson - Ubuntu LTS is not Debian Stable, never ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: SSH tunnels woes with Putty
    ... SSH tunnel so that when I surf the net on my laptop I can SSH into my ... Ubuntu box at home and go through that for web page traffic. ... in what looks like IE's proxy configuration dialog ... configuration may override manual settings. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: Upgrade to 8.04
    ... I am rather new to Ubuntu. ... upgrade manager, all settings should be preserved. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Help
    ... To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World ... Re: Ubuntu magic (Karl ... remove totem and then use the settings in VLC to make it ... Subject: shorten "exit"!? ...
    (Ubuntu)