Re: SSH tunnels woes with Putty

On 12/25/2010 06:27 AM, Al wrote:
Hi Folks,

I REALLY hope someone here can help me. I have been trying to setup a
SSH tunnel so that when I surf the net on my laptop I can SSH into my
Ubuntu box at home and go through that for web page traffic.

Now I tried to connect to Ubuntu@home from laptop running Win7 with:

putty -ssh my.dyndns.org -l username -P 443 -D 8080 -v

and the connection establishes just fine, but when I surf to
whatsmyip.org I get a different WAN IP to my Ubuntu WAN IP. Weird, so
after a lot or trying different things (IE7, Chrome etc) I rebooted
that same laptop into Ubuntu as well and issued the exact same command
but not using putty

ssh my.dyndns.org -l username -P 443 -D 8080 -v

Now it works like a charm, so I am thinking its something specific to
Win7 or Putty. But I am at the limit of my trouble shooting. Can
someone please help.

Cheers

-Al

Maybe this information will help you;

(puTTY)
1. http://www.cotse.net/ssh_windows.html

(SSH Tunnel in Unix/Linux)
2. http://www.cotse.net/ssh_unix.html

Happy Christmas.

  • Re: SSH tunnels woes with Putty
    ... SSH tunnel so that when I surf the net on my laptop I can SSH into my ... Ubuntu box at home and go through that for web page traffic. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Putty; Win7; IE8
    ... SSH tunnel so that when I surf the net on my laptop I can SSH into my ... Ubuntu box at home and go through that for web page traffic. ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: SSH tunnels woes with Putty
    ... SSH tunnel so that when I surf the net on my laptop I can SSH into my ... Ubuntu box at home and go through that for web page traffic. ... Win7 or Putty. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • staying secure while allowing vnc...
    ... My job has given me a laptop but won't let me put ... So the solution I've decided to use is VNC thru an ssh tunnel. ... To connect from the laptop, I start up Putty, SSH to the box. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: xmove problems, it should NOT be this hard!!!
    ... > I adjust my DISPLAY environment variable and have TBird point to xmove. ... > xauth list on the desktop, grab the cookie, xauth add onto the laptop. ... I can create an SSH tunnel. ...
    (Debian-User)