Re: Auto configuration failed

On Sep 13, 10:30 am, Uwe Seher <red.bu...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello group!

i get a strange error when i try to start an sshd (v5.4) on an opensuse
11.3 machine. It is installed by the packetmanager. The first time it
worked, but when i did some configuration the daemon suddenly refused to
restart.

By "some configuration", what do you mean? Could you have added an
error in /etc/ssh/sshd_config that is confusing the daemon?

Revert your changes, or back up your changes, rip out the package and
re-install it to compare the config files.

Now when i try to start the daemon, by startscript, manual or at
boottime the message below shows up and the daemon doesnt start.

Auto configuration failed
140472990594728:error:0200100D:system library:fopen:Permission
denied:bss_file.c:126:fopen('/etc/ssl/openssl.cnf','rb')

What in the? OK, what did you do to /etc/ssl/openssl.conf? Have you
been trying to replace or overwrite your OpenSSL components? That
would be.... begging to introduce incompatibilities with other tools,
if you didn't use RPM deployment for them.

140472990594728:error:2006D002:BIO routines:BIO_new_file:system
lib:bss_file.c:131:
140472990594728:error:0E078002:configuration file
routines:DEF_LOAD:system lib:conf_def.c:199:

The konfiguration doesnt matter, it doesnt work with original setup nor
with a working configutration. Logfile entries (in /var/log/messages)
are not written.
As a workaround i downloaded and compiled the v5.6-openssh, which works
without problem, with the same konfiguration and the same settings like
the opensuse-version. Has someone a hint for me, what produces this
strange error? Aunt Google seems also a little bit clueless in this case....

OpenSuSE is its own unique environment, and gods only know what
manually installing a new OpenSSH overlaid on top of your old one. Set
aside the manually compiled one, as much as possible, and use 'rpm -V
openssh' or 'rpm -V openssh-server', or whatever it is called for
OpenSuSE, to see what configurations you changed.

I can see where Google might have issues finding this: I think you've
managed to accidentally muck up sshd_config, and that's a fairly
unusual issue, different everytime it happens.

Thank you

Uwe Seher

  • Re: Auto configuration failed
    ... By "some configuration", what do you mean? ... been trying to replace or overwrite your OpenSSL components? ... OpenSuSE is its own unique environment, ... manually installing a new OpenSSH overlaid on top of your old one. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: [kde-linux] How to delete default launchers in taskbar?
    ... I am using OpenSUSE 12 also...have not run into a problem with mine...have you unlocked widgets in panel options? ... I am using KDE 4.8.4 under openSuSE 12.x and would like to remove the ... Dolphin and Firefox launchers from the taskbar. ... If you set the configuration up the way you want, ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Suse 10.3 install - oh dear (rant only)
    ... but installing openSUSE sometimes really meets my limits. ... Writing bug reports is another story. ... Daniel Bauer photographer Basel Switzerland ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Working Kate: A good enough reason for me to go to 12.2
    ... on OpenSuse 12.1 and kde is a complete and total mess of ... Somehow Opensuse managed to completely F**kup the most basic of utilities. ... completely unintuitive configuration mess that it uses. ... basic install clone foolishness with floating panels and all that idiotic ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [opensuse] Opensuse still not ready for consumers...
    ... Just thought I would let you know my experience of installing Opensuse ... KDE 4.2 Factory via one click install. ... laptops now without ever having this occur. ...
    (SuSE)