I only have a DSA keypair. Can I ssh then?

[Same message posted to secureshell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx --
I apologize for the inconvenience]

Hello everybody,

at school I learnt that DSA, i.e. Digital Signature Algorithm, is a
publick key cryptography algorithm meant to produce the digital
signature
to a given piece of data.

Which is, a DSA keypair can't be used for encryption, just for
signing.

From "SSH, the Secure Shell -- The Definitive Guide", 2nd edition,
by Daniel J. Barrett et al., page 85,

"
[DSA] It is designed as a signature-only scheme that can’t be used
for encryption, although a fully general implementation
may easily perform both RSA and ElGamal encryption."

and at page 86:

"
The SSH-2 protocol uses DSA as its required (and currently, only
defined)
public-key algorithm for host identification."

So here is my question:
let's say that Mrs Alice has only a DSA keypair, and no RSA keypair.

Would her be able to log remotely to a machine via SSH?

Best regards,
Giovanni Gherdovich

  • New DSA key sizes RE: draft-ietf-dnsext-rfc2536bis-dsa-06.txt
    ... NIST has recently proposed a new version of DSA that supports 2048 bit (and ... I think that the draft should be updated to cover ... the size of the signature keys. ... support the new DSA than an entirely new algorithm. ...
    (comp.protocols.dns.std)
  • Re: RSA vs DH
    ... >>system parameters each time you will (or might, depending on the ... >>algorithm I guess) make it harder to calculate the discrete logarithm ... if you are using the keys in TLS handshakes. ... DSA keys cannot be larger than 1024 bits. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Can anyone help me with DSA
    ... I don't know all the math behind the DSA ... algorithm. ... Bruce Schneiers books "Practical cryptography" can probably tell ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.vjsharp)
  • Re: Re-secured Algorithm?
    ... > I didn't know that DSA was not. ... Can we standardize this? ... > preferable to use a different algorithm than DSA, ... 256 bit subgroups and a 256-bit hash. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: I only have a DSA keypair. Can I ssh then?
    ... gg> at school I learnt that DSA, i.e. Digital Signature Algorithm, ... gg> is a publick key cryptography algorithm meant to produce the ... gg> digital signature to a given piece of data. ... able to SSH if the key can't "do" encryption. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)