Re: Cannot ssh to OpenSolaris after upgrade to 2008.11 (build 101) from WinXP

Andrew Gideon <c182driver1@xxxxxxxxxx> sez:

Could it be an MTU mismatch or related problem, as described here?:
<http://www.snailbook.com/faq/mtu-mismatch.auto.html> SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT
is probably the first long packet in a typical SSH-2 protocol exchange.

The original MTU config of my WinXP box and the OpenSolaris box:

WinXP: MTU 1300
OpenSolaris: MTU 1500

With ssh/sshd under OpenSolaris 2008.11 build 101, this config pair does
not work.

Could you be more specific about what you mean by "does not work" since
the stated problem is that SSH from your PC to the servers running build
101 "does not work". Does the above configuration "not work" more than
other configurations "not work"?

Sorry for the ambiguity.

Both the client and server hang as usual. I see the tcp connection
from the client to the server. I see the initial negotiation between
the two sides, but after a while, the client (cygwin ssh, putty,
winscp, securecrt, etc) just hangs. Here's a cygwin log:

$ ssh -vv -l mylogin mymachine.mydomain.com
OpenSSH_5.1p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8i 15 Sep 2008
debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to mymachine.mydomain.com [123.123.123.123] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /home/Frank Greco/.ssh/identity type 0
debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type '-----BEGIN'
debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type '-----END'
debug1: identity file /home/Frank Greco/.ssh/id_rsa type 1
debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type '-----BEGIN'
debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type '-----END'
debug1: identity file /home/Frank Greco/.ssh/id_dsa type 2
debug1: Remote protocol version 2.0, remote software version Sun_SSH_1.2
debug1: no match: Sun_SSH_1.2
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.1
debug2: fd 3 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
[now the client just hangs.........]

I tried the following (I'm assuming you do *not* have to reboot
OpenSolaris after doing an ipconfig change):

So do all of these configurations (including the original) "not work" in
the same way?

Yes.

Is the Solaris MTU different by default in build 98?

That's what I hope to find out later.

P.S. The default MTU on your PC is 1300? That's *odd*. I'm
wondering if this is somehow an effect of a cause that is
important. I've never seen anything other than 1500 as
the default.

Today is the first time I ever looked at my machines MTU setting and that's what
it was set to (in decimal).

  • wireless networking
    ... After much effort I found a wireless PCMCIA card that is supported by ... sl0: flags=c010mtu 552 ... config> po pcic1 0x3e2 ... 0x40000000-0x43ffffff at device 0.0 on pci0 ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Route issue and ppp v5.2.1
    ... It's still odd though I do not see the ppp0 ... configuration file I'm getting errors when doing a config: ... Right now in the user mode ppp I can only see the ip that is in the tun device ... sl0: flags=c010mtu 552 ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • IPv6 router solicitation not being received
    ... sis0: flags=8843mtu 1500 ... Invalid command or syntax. ... config> di lnc0 ... pci0: on pcib0 ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: Cannot establish connection with ADSL provider
    ... You should try adding these lines to your config to reduce the MTU size, ... encapsulation added they will be oversized. ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
  • collect: premature EOM: Connection reset by
    ... When receiving mails from some servers I get a protocol like: ... I am using a DSL-connection with MTU 1490. ... I have heard about changing MTU down to some smaller size. ... If it would be sendmail, which parameter to define and where? ...
    (comp.mail.sendmail)