Re: Tunnel with same listen and destination port

hidden@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I'm trying to tunnel remote desktop to a machine on another network.
When I log into the SSH server(unix/linux), I can ping the windows
machine successfully from that machine I am SSH'd into. So in my SSH
client I have set it up to request a tunnel with listen port 3389 and
destionation of 3389 and the destination hostname.

When I connect I get an error like "Failed to create an outgoing

If I set the source port to 3388, and connect, then I do not get this
error. I don't quite understand why.

Review netstat -an | grep 3389 on the originating machine. Perhaps
RDP is running on it and you're not aware.

Maybe my computer is already listening for 3389 and the SSH client
can't connect to it as well?

That's usually the issue.

You might also post what commandline you're using for this, or what
tools/entries into dialog boxes you're using to make sure something
else isn't awry.

Todd H.

Relevant Pages

  • Tunnel with same listen and destination port
    ... I'm trying to tunnel remote desktop to a machine on another network. ... So in my SSH ... conflict, as the listen port only applies to my computer, and the ... destination port only applies to the destination computer. ...
  • Re: Using SSH with xdm/cde and Exceed - how?
    ... A solution would be to use SecureCRT, it can tunnel X sessions. ... and that is tunnelled back through ssh. ... >Have a look at CygWin, it's a *nix under windows, complete with X server. ... some users use Hummingbird Exceed to access the Sun systems X ...
  • Re: Help with VNC Please....
    ... Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking) ... I installed VNC and I'm trying to acess my box through SSH ... Comp Name: LocalHost Listen Port: 5901 Host: Desination ...
  • Re: Remote Assistance
    ... >> windows, is anyone aware of a Linux Client that can interface with that? ... > I have used ssh to tunnel vnc but only between two linux systems. ... > setup the remote end of the tunnel for this. ...
  • Re: How to start a VNC session
    ... >> How do I setup a SSH session from windows to the Linux machine? ... >> I managed to tunnel from the Linux machine to the Linux machine, ...