Re: SSH wont export DISPLAY on Solaris 10

On Jul 3, 11:22 pm, chi...@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
stealthsur...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
I have tried this with both the native Solaris 10 ssh and OpenSSH 4.1.
I have X11Forwarding enabled and also have use X11UseLocalhost and
X11DisplayOffset set to yes but when I ssh to this system the display
is not exported (not in the env) and tunneling X11 GUIs fails. Anyone
seen this before?

There may be a "mismatch" between IPv4 and IPv6. See the following for
more information. This problem has been reported to Sun and has been
"taken under advisement", but no patch has been developed (yet), though
it appears to BE the result of a patch.

Basically what we found out is that X11 forwarding over SSH was failing
as the "tunnel return path" was attempting to connect to localhost (lo0)
via IPv6 address, but we had only IPv4 lo0 defined. Basically, doing a
"touch /etc/hostname6.lo0" 'did the trick' to 'fix the problem'. Note
that there may be a "t_<something> ...." error when rebooting, but it
doesn't prevent an IPv6 local loopback interface from being created.

http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5302236http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.solaris/browse_thread/thread...http://www.mydatabasesupport.com/forums/solaris/397531-s10-sshd-x-for...
I have tried both ssh -4AX rmotehost
and on remotehost creating hostname6.lo0

only the latter works

There is no option that I can see for setting AddressFamily on Solaris
SSH in sshd_config

I wonder why the ssh -4 works for some systems, but not others?

  • Re: SSH wont export DISPLAY on Solaris 10
    ... There may be a "mismatch" between IPv4 and IPv6. ... it appears to BE the result of a patch. ... Basically what we found out is that X11 forwarding over SSH was failing ... but we had only IPv4 lo0 defined. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: 11.3 and ssh X forwarding not working
    ... but I cannot seem to get X to work over ssh. ... I login to the system from OS X or another older openSUSE with ... Well, AFAIK, I'm not using IPv6 and I think that my router is not ... basically I think that disabling IPv6 breaks things and causes bugs to ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: 11.3 and ssh X forwarding not working
    ... Just upgraded my home server to 11.3. ... but I cannot seem to get X to work over ssh. ... using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding. ... Well, AFAIK, I'm not using IPv6 and I think that my router is not ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: 11.3 and ssh X forwarding not working
    ... but I cannot seem to get X to work over ssh. ... using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding. ... Well, AFAIK, I'm not using IPv6 and I think that my router is not ... basically I think that disabling IPv6 breaks things and causes bugs to ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: 11.3 and ssh X forwarding not working
    ... but I cannot seem to get X to work over ssh. ... Ok, so I really don't know what is wrong, but fix was this... ... Well, AFAIK, I'm not using IPv6 and I think that my router is not ... Which is the correct solution - if a fix is to disable IPv6 then the fix ...
    (SuSE)