Re: A Tunneling question - How does one use corkscrew , ssh , and eg firefox ?

On Dec 28, 7:24 pm, "Richard E. Silverman" <r...@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
"JH" ==jameshanley39@yahoo co uk <jameshanle...@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

    >> writes:
    >>
    JH> hi this question is largely an ssh question... `cos corkscrew is
    JH> used through ProxyCommand in ssh_config .  Corkscrew has no
    JH> mailing list as of writing.  I am sure some SSH users here use it
    JH> with corkscrew.
    >>
    JH> I am having some trouble trying to figure out how to get corkscrew
    JH> working.
    >>
    JH> I am using squid as http and https proxy. As a test, so
    JH> 127.0.0.1:3128 (squid`s default port is 3128)..
    >>
    JH> As I understand it, I should be able to set up any browser or ftp
    JH> client or whatever, to tunnel through the squid HTTPS proxy, and I
    JH> use corkscrew to do it.
    >>  No.  Corkscrew is a tool for establishing a single connection to a
    >> remote TCP port, through an HTTP proxy which supports the CONNECT
    >> method.  The proxied TCP stream is connected to the stdin/stdout of
    >> the corkscrew program.
    >>
    JH> I have tried a few things though, without even getting as far as
    JH> firefox, and it gets nowhere.

    JH> [authfile] $ corkscrew 127.0.0.1 3128 sourceforge.net 443 ~/a.a
    >>
    JH> I do not know what user/pass to put in the authfile, since HTTPs
    JH> sites like sourceforge.net do not require one from the browser..
    >>  The username/password is in case the *proxy* requires
    >> authentication to use it.
    >>
    JH> I tried this in ssh_config ProxyCommand corkscrew 127.0.0.1 3128
    JH> %h %p ~/a.a
    >>
    JH> then ssh sourceforge.net 443 and ssh sourceforge.net -p 443
    >>
    JH> but no luck
    >>
    JH> I have no idea how to go about using ssh with corkscrew.
    >>  And I have no idea what you're trying to do.  :) sourceforge.net
    >> has no SSH server running on the standard port (22), and on port
    >> 443 it has what you would expect -- an https server.  What do you
    >> expect to do with SSH in this context?
    >>
    >> -- Richard Silverman r...@xxxxxxxx

    JH> Was just trying to use corkscrew `cos it looks like a useful
    JH> tool..  Hoping to figure it out working forwards from
    JH> instructions. That didn`t work. So I tried working backwards, but
    JH> could not get it to start.

    JH> What you wrote clarified it greatly, and I got it working for what
    JH> it is meant to do..

    JH> On a related note- I spoke to somebody who said he was tunneling
    JH> SSH through HTTP proxy and did not need corkscrew.

    JH> I will use the terms home and work for the sake of obvious
    JH> illustration..As in one area is behind an http proxy, the other,
    JH> one has administrative access over. (in reality I am experimenting
    JH> in one location where I have full access).  This person I spoke to
    JH> did have a home-work situation..

    JH> So, This guy I spoke to that said he did not need corkscrew to
    JH> tunnel SSH through an HTTP PROXY.  He was behind an HTTP Proxy
    JH> that also did HTTPS (probably like most HTTP proxies).  He said
    JH> HTTPS is HTTP in SSH, and blind to what is in the SSH.

No; https is HTTP in TLS (SSL).  SSH and SSL have absolutely nothing to do
with one another; they are completely different protocols.

thanks again

  • Re: A Tunneling question - How does one use corkscrew , ssh , and eg firefox ?
    ...     JH> with corkscrew. ...     JH> use corkscrew to do it. ...     JH>SSHthrough HTTP proxy and did not need corkscrew. ...     JH> has no free redirector for me to make squid a transparent proxy). ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: Multi Hopping by sshserver proxy with different keys
    ... you could use socat to forward ssh connections from one host to another ... don't want to do a command like "ssh bastion ssh target" since I'd like ... You could pass the passphrase as a parm from the Windows host if your ...     User bastionuser ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: how to examine ssh problem
    ... 1] I tried ssh from desktop, laptop and other server, the same problem.. ... debug2: bits set: 529/1024 ... debug3: start over, passed a different list publickey,gssapi-with-mic,password ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [9fans] Plan 9 hg with private repositories
    ... realm: Bitbucket.org HTTP ... Basically, it found getpass, did not find termios, then went looking ...    import termios ... "With MPI, familiarity breeds contempt. ...
    (comp.os.plan9)
  • Re: Hp - linux X-Application
    ... You definately do not need ssh to make this work.... ... xhost + grants "ALL" permissions to use your linux workstation as an X ... firstly install ssh without  ssh installation could not working xhost ...   Kumar ...
    (RedHat)