Re: Multiple private keys

efair wrote:
Hi,

I've been using ssh to access a remote server (server A) from my
workstation. The admin of server A do not provide me a password, he
prefers to use "shared secrets" for access control -- he creates a
userid for me, generates a key pair, puts the public key in ~/.ssh/
authorized_keys, provides me the userid and the private key; I copy
the private key into id.rsa on my workstation, and I then ssh into
server A. No password prompt appears.

Now I need to access another server (server B) from my workstation.
The admin of server B also uses the "shared secrets". The admins
won't use the same keys.

Is there any way to switch back and forth between the two private keys
on my workstation, short of replacing the id_rsa file every time I
want to access A or B?

Yes, of course. You can create an "ssh-agent" that stores both keys dynamically, or you can tell your SSH client to use a specific key to make its connections. How you do this depends on your client, but Putty and Pageant for Windows has nice support for both, and various UNIX/Linux tools like "keychain" work quite well.

  • Re: Slow Logon related to groups
    ... it works fine, but not when I use the domain admin, that's when it hangs. ... PPP adapter RAS Server Interface: ... Connection-specific DNS Suffix. ... From Workstation - Windows XP SP2 ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Windows 2003 - User Logins vs Software
    ... > We have recently installed a Windows 2003 domain server. ... admin, open "Active Directory Users and Computers", locate the workstation ... "Administrators" group under "Local users and Groups". ...
  • Re: Re-Post - "the trust relationship between this workstation and
    ... There were no logged events in either the DC or workstation. ... DC/DNS Server - DCDiag ... Attr: subschemaSubentry ... only problem is adding a new user account on the station. ...
  • trust relationship between workstation and the primary domain fail
    ... When I am at a workstation attached to the domain and try to add a local ... Server: server1.contoso.org ... Testing LDAP servers in Domain contoso ... ... Attr: subschemaSubentry ...
  • RE: Slow Logon related to groups
    ... Open Server Management console on SBS ... Ensure the problematic user has permission to access its home folder on ... After the problematic user logon workstation, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)