defeated by optmisation!

I have a situation where, due to VPNs, routing, gating, etc
machines 'A' and 'Z' can both be seen from machine 'M',
but machine 'A' cannot see machine 'Z'.

I do NOT have access/authority to change this.

I do have user level access and logins
for all 3 machines.

In order to transfer data, I logged on to machine
'M' and used scp thus:

scp user1@A:/path/file.txt user2@Z:/path

The command failed.

A little probing revealed that scp had
attempted to initiate a direct copy from A to Z,
which is not (in fact) possible.

Now, I can see where this optimisation is desirable.

If the links between M and A,Z were slow,
but the link between A and Z were swift,
what SCP is doing is very fine

(e.g. user on a remote dialup initiating
transfer between 2 servers)

Is there a way for me to (conveniently) proceed,
or do I require a "new" flag?

BugBear

  • openssh public Key Athentication - with restrickted login shell
    ... I'd like too use scp to transfer data to a Linux box out of a perl script using public key authentication. ... to authenticate as before. ... So I thought it should be a working but restricted "login shell", which is sufficient enough for that user complete the authentication and to do its scp file transfer, nothing else. ... Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: NFS or SCP ??
    ... > Is this something you would normally do using NFS? ... There are numerous ways to transfer data, ... SSH (SFTP, SCP) ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: openssh public Key Athentication - with restrickted login shell
    ... I'd like too use scp to transfer data to a Linux box out of a perl script using public key authentication. ... So I thought it should be a working but restricted "login shell", which is sufficient enough for that user complete the authentication and to do its scp file transfer, nothing else. ... You can find out exactly what command you need to use in authorized_keys by running 'scp -v' on the client side. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: can scp continue/resume during transfer data?
    ... can scp continue resume during transfer data? ... scp itself can't. ... rsync can and that runs quite happily over ... Today's fortune: ...
    (Debian-User)