Re: Incorrect protocol implementation by OpenSSH?

H.K. Kingston-Smith <HKK-S@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am not sure I entirely agree with that. If the client specifies
want-reply = 0 and the server does not support "exec", how can the client
know the reason behind the deadlock?

It can't.

It would seem that an "exec" (or "shell") request with want-reply
set to 0 sent to a server that does not support such a capability will
necessarily lead to a deadlock. Is this right in general?

I think so, yes. But you cannot deduce from that that the _server_
should do something different in that situation: it's the _client's_
fault for setting want_reply=0, and so the client should have done
something different. It isn't the server's job to exceed the
protocol specification in order to compensate for a broken client;
it's the client's job not to be broken in the first place.
--
Simon Tatham "infinite loop _see_ loop, infinite"
<anakin@xxxxxxxxx> - Index, Borland Pascal Language Guide

  • Re: Incorrect protocol implementation by OpenSSH?
    ... client know the reason behind the deadlock? ... necessarily lead to a deadlock. ... But you cannot deduce from that that the _server_ ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: ASP.NET worker process deadlock symptoms
    ... deadlock.... ... > Yes we have tweaked settings in our machine.config file per recommendations from Microsoft. ... > So far I do not see any attributable condition to our SQL Server database. ... > the app works for a while and then gets the "Server Application ...
  • Re: URGENT deadlock question
    ... I have a deadlock template that I use with the following ... > SQL: Statement Completed ... > "Trace flags remain enabled in the server until disabled by executing ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)
  • Re: Preventing deadlocks
    ... > pretty much stops all access to the server, ... A deadlock does not kill a connection. ... requests a lock on a resource that is locked by another spid. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)
  • Re: identifying deadlock conditions
    ... Is there any other way to enable the Trace flag 1204 ... Note:- You can also give the same usign SQL server enterprise manager ... "Deadlock" event in the trace file, ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)