Re: where to upload public ssh key

chris <olsen.chris@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have created the .ssh folder on the server in home/my_name/ and have
created a nice long passphrase. I am able to login using the
passphrase, but I am still able to login with the account password. I
can not imagine this is good thing seeing as the normal account
password is much much shorter than the passphrase.

I would think that I am missing something here, but none of the books
that I have skimmed through mention anything about this.

You can set the valid authentication mechanisms in the server's
configuration file (sshd_config). The default has both password and
private key authentication enabled, but you can disable them.

--
Darren Dunham ddunham@xxxxxxxx

  • Re: Suggestions For The Passing of Passphrases
    ... communication which includes the login or password. ... or encrypt passwords, such as getting the guy a message that says Im ... sending you a passphrase but its ROT13'd ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: ssh no password problem
    ... Your DSA public key based authentication is working fine. ... being prompted for the passphrase to tyour DSA Key, not your login ... This is because you had given a passphrase during generation ... when I do ssh localhost, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • [opensuse] ssh key generation
    ... as root: ... Enter passphrase: ... Now, when I login, the password is asked *again*. ... I am root when performing the login on the remote server at the moment. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Using SHA1 Digested Passwords for SSH connection
    ... database - i.e. so that you can unencrypt them when you need to use ... storing the decryption key on disk, ... decryption passphrase when your application starts. ... created it with no passphrase) will be able to use it to login. ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)
  • pam_ssh problems
    ... login with _any_ password (empty, ... If I get the passphrase wrong I login, but the key is not added to ... for Genesis Software - http://www.gsoft.com.au ...
    (freebsd-hackers)