Re: sshd and redhat 6.2 (!)

On 2007-08-19, Nico <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
Frankly, do not expect to be able to simply slap in recent versions of
*anything*. This especially includes packages like OpenSSH that were
not designed for Linux and which are reliant on so many other
components. The work of porting the OpenBSD versions to other
operating systems is not small: it's not fair to ask the developers to
backport it that far, as well.

FWIW, the effort required to port OpenSSH to older Linuxes (or ones
of Redhat 6.2 vintage, anyway) is smaller than the effort to port it
to other platforms. At one point I had it fully functional even
on 2.0 kernel based systems (after working around a bug in descriptor
passing) although that's probably not been tested for a while.

In general, once it's working on a given platform it will usually continue
to work, modulo minor problems like #includes and such. It's rare
that support for platforms is dropped, and it's usually because of some
missing fundamental feature. (The last example of this would probably
be dropping support for compilers that don't have a 64 bit native type
such as "long long", which happened in 3.7x).

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.

  • Re: tcsetpgrp()
    ... Which SSH implementation and version thereof are you running? ... On QNX the pty allocation process apparently ... In the next release of OpenSSH, ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: SSH Connecting through Firewall
    ... >client to use HTTPS or FTP proxy. ... There is no such option in the OpenSSH ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: Adding "X11UseLocalhost no" to /etc/ssh/sshd_config breaks x forwarding
    ... telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused ... has been turned off either by Openssh or by Red Hat. ... feature or a bug I am unsure, there are warnings in the man page ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: Solaris 9 sshd<---> Cygwin/X ssh Problems
    ... >uses a Solaris box as an sshd server? ... I don't know if this exists in SunSSH but for OpenSSH this can be caused ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: OpenSSH release schedule
    ... I'm not speaking for my employer btw) compliant in my ... > OpenSSH already partially supports many of these things but not on ... password and account expiry is supported ... > platforms I'm reasonably sure about: ...
    (comp.security.ssh)