Re: putty slow to connect

Bas van Gils <read-the-signature@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm experiencing some strange behavior with putty that I just can't put my
head around. When I connect to my (Debian)server using putty + pagant it
takes a *long* time to connect. Approximately 20 seconds I'd say. However,
if I connect to the same server from the same machine using cygwin/ssh then
connecting only takes a fraction of a second...

Putty's logfile doesn't show me anything useful and neither does the
logfile on the server. Any clues?

If you run the server in debug mode (perhaps on another port), and
connect to it, I would think the lines just before the pause would
indicate the action that is taking a long time. Can you gather that
information?

Since it's from the same machine, it wouldn't seem like the normal DNS
lookup timeout is the culprit....

--
Darren Dunham ddunham@xxxxxxxx

  • putty slow to connect
    ... I'm experiencing some strange behavior with putty that I just can't put my ... When I connect to my server using putty + pagant it ... Putty's logfile doesn't show me anything useful and neither does the ... logfile on the server. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: putty slow to connect
    ... I'm experiencing some strange behavior with putty that I just can't put my ... When I connect to my server using putty + pagant it ... Putty's logfile doesn't show me anything useful and neither does the ... logfile on the server. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: CORE-2004-0705: Vulnerabilities in PuTTY and PSCP
    ... difficult to exploit w/o modifying source for an ssl server. ... packets, got hexdumps of the packets, wrote a prog to pretend to be an ssl ... or build packets with the ssl functions used in putty.. ... Vulnerabilities in PuTTY and PSCP ...
    (Vuln-Dev)
  • PuTTY suddenly stopped working (WinXPsp2 to FreeBSD5.4)
    ... assumption is that the problem is on the Client machine. ... On the Server ... ... Open a PuTTY session and I am prompted for a username. ... Event Log: Writing new session log to file: ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Help please: how to enable SSH password authentication under FreeBSD 6.2?
    ... I'm installing my fall-back server, ... PuTTY, PuTTY keeps failing mentioning something like 'host key check ... # Kerberos options ... # Set this to 'no' to disable PAM authentication ...
    (freebsd-questions)