Compression with ssh tunneling

Has anyone done compression testing with ssh tunnels ?

I was looking at it the other day and it looked like the compression options have no effect when you try and use them on a tunnel.

Here was the test:

# ssh -L222:localhost:22 root@server

Then with this tunnel in place I used scp to transfer a file

# scp -P222 root@localhost:/tmp/file1 .

Then I repoeated the test with compression on the tunnel...

# ssh -C -L222:localhost:22 root@server

Then with this tunnel in place I used scp to transfer a file

# scp -P222 root@localhost:/tmp/file1 .

And the speeds were about the same.

If I put the compression on the scp command instead of the tunnel there was a major speed increase.

Is this likely to be because the binary network traffic generated by scp is not very compressable or is it that compression on tunnels does not work ??

I also did some tests with using VNC over a tunnel and also found that there was no visible speed increase when compression was used on the tunnel.

I'd be keen to hear from anyone who has done testing on this and reached a conclusion oneway or the other.

Regards
Dave Gempton.

  • Re: Compression with ssh tunneling
    ... I was looking at it the other day and it looked like the compression ... options have no effect when you try and use them on a tunnel. ... with the tunnel from local 222 to remote YY ... Hit Ctrl-c ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: forward a tcp stream through rs232
    ... TCP/IP protocol on the serial line. ... but the overhead of a "complete TCP/IP protocol" ... compression, ... endpoints of the tunnel). ...
    (freebsd-net)
  • Re: X terminal hardware
    ... X tunnelled through SSH *without* compression, ... through LBX through SSH *with* compression. ... should offer an option to tunnel through SSH when logging in. ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • Re: [SLE] remote X vrs VNC
    ... > Hans Witvliet wrote: ... > I know LBX, and I tested it, as well as ssh with compression ... argument now makes the ssh tunnel setup a little quicker. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Tunneled IP Addresses?
    ... I use ssh tunnels to successfully browse my remote web ... that address and forwards them out the tunnel. ... some of the pages on the remote server refer to additional ...
    (comp.security.ssh)