Re: reverse mapping -- POSSIBLE BREAK-IN ATTEMPT

On 14 Feb 2007 01:35:57 -0500, Richard E. Silverman <res@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
"I" == Ignoramus21592 <ignoramus21592@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

I> On 12 Feb 2007 19:36:40 -0500, Richard E. Silverman <res@xxxxxxxx>
I> wrote:
>> In sshd_config, "UseDNS no".

I> Did not work. Set it on both client and server machine.

I> This is a client issue, not a server issue.

Oops, sorry; spoke too quickly. Please give the output of "ssh -V".

Here goes:

OpenSSH_4.3p2, OpenSSL 0.9.8b 04 May 2006

Making a guess: if you using an OpenSSH build with GSS/Kerberos support,
such as the Debian ssh-krb5 package or OpenSSH with this patch:

http://www.sxw.org.uk/computing/patches/openssh.html

... then this behavior is wired in and can't be turned off (even if you're
not actually using Kerberos). It calls get_canonical_hostname() with the
use_dns parameter set. There ought to be a client-side UseDNS option for
it to respect.

I agree that there needs to be such an option.

If you're not, then I'm not sure what's going on, because I can't
replicate this behavior with a stock 4.5p1 build; as far as I can tell,
that code is simply not called on the client side.

Here are my package names in FC6:

~ ==>rpm -qa |grep ssh
openssh-server-4.3p2-14.fc6
openssh-askpass-4.3p2-14.fc6
openssh-clients-4.3p2-14.fc6
openssh-4.3p2-14.fc6

thanks

  • Re: Remote Desktop & Wake-on-LAN
    ... just that the server machine ... go into a timed suspend until I reboot the client, ... >> a Remote Desktop client connection. ...
  • Re: Client side printing
    ... xp_cmdshell is executed on the server machine, which has no knowledge of the client who submitted ... Perhaps you can specify the printer name using UNC naming so the print is done on ... Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)
  • Re: Which is best - recordsets/VBA V SQL statements for updating data
    ... One typical requirement was a client who required a report that forecast ... > SQL is better than Recordset Updating and Vice Versa. ... Is this a job for SQL or for Recordset ... > Procedure or UDF on the Server machine, using loops, conditional, ...
    (comp.databases.ms-access)
  • Re: Err.Raise in COM+ Component loses Err.Source and Err.Description
    ... error" on 2 different server machines running the same server-side package. ... I wish I had another Win2000 machine I could try as a client to ... Using the same SERVER machine and varying CLIENT machines running the same ... Set cnDBMS = New Connection ...
  • Re: Client side printing
    ... Thanks Tibor, yes what you are suggesting, makes sense. ... server by other users. ... everyone at client-side got there own printers, so I doubt if client admin ... I managed to do this on Server machine. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)