Re: unable to sftp

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 14:32:47 -0800, donkarnash wrote:

Hi John,

your answer makes sense. I have create sshd with the following command.

useradd -g sshd -c 'sshd privsep' -d /var/empty -s /bin/false sshd

can you suggest me if I need to grant a valid shell to sshd ???

Please let me know. Another thing, I do not have openssh in /etc/init.d.

I just have sshd.

Hi 'donk'

No, don't use the sshd account. It shouldn't be used for anything except
running the ssh daemon. Try connecting to another account like your own
or a specially created one with the home directory placed where you want
to transfer files to.
I would *guess* that the openssh excutables have been installed in
/usr/local/bin and /usr/local/sbin. Look for the sshd executable in
/usr/local/sbin. You will have to find or write a script to put in
/etc/init.d. Look at the Sun /etc/init.d/sshd script. Perhaps you can
copy and amend that one to run openssh.

In the interim you could run
/etc/init.d/sshd stop
to close the Sun one and run
/usr/local/sbin/sshd
to start the openssh one. This will run in the background. Note that you
really should put in an /etc/init.d/openssh script to start the daemon so
that it survives after a reboot.

Regards

JohnK
.