Re: unable to sftp

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 14:32:47 -0800, donkarnash wrote:

Hi John,

your answer makes sense. I have create sshd with the following command.

useradd -g sshd -c 'sshd privsep' -d /var/empty -s /bin/false sshd

can you suggest me if I need to grant a valid shell to sshd ???

Please let me know. Another thing, I do not have openssh in /etc/init.d.

I just have sshd.

Hi 'donk'

No, don't use the sshd account. It shouldn't be used for anything except
running the ssh daemon. Try connecting to another account like your own
or a specially created one with the home directory placed where you want
to transfer files to.
I would *guess* that the openssh excutables have been installed in
/usr/local/bin and /usr/local/sbin. Look for the sshd executable in
/usr/local/sbin. You will have to find or write a script to put in
/etc/init.d. Look at the Sun /etc/init.d/sshd script. Perhaps you can
copy and amend that one to run openssh.

In the interim you could run
/etc/init.d/sshd stop
to close the Sun one and run
/usr/local/sbin/sshd
to start the openssh one. This will run in the background. Note that you
really should put in an /etc/init.d/openssh script to start the daemon so
that it survives after a reboot.

Regards

JohnK

  • last output
    ... Before patching all worked fine. ... security sshd sftp-server integer overlow pam keyboard interactive ... it was related to openssh sshd ... ...
    (SunManagers)
  • RE: OpenSSH b0rked (was RE: Problems with IPFW patch)
    ... fix was the config file. ... No reboots or restarting sshd necessary. ... > Subject: RE: OpenSSH b0rked ... >> annoying install sequence - you can't define where it gets ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: Attacks against SSH?
    ... > CRC32-attack. ... i've seen quite a few attempts against sshd in the last few days, ... rumours of a "new OpenSSH exploit" started wandering around. ... the CRC bug in unpatched/vulnerable versions of ssh. ...
    (Incidents)
  • OpenSSH 3.1 released
    ... OpenSSH 3.1 has just been released. ... implementation and includes sftp client and server support. ... sshd x11 forwarding listens on localhost by default; ... see sshd X11UseLocalhost option to revert to prior behaviour ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: ssh going zombie
    ... Current openssh versions are in the 3.9 - 4.0 range. ... > to happern with winscp and not with scp or ssh under linux. ... > subprocess is removed from the sshd config file the a sub sshd process ... > I get this feeling this is going to be a problem nobody has a clue on ...
    (SSH)