Re: Store Encrypted Files

In article <1168330346.858004.299470@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
tim.de.roock@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Doug Spencer schreef:

On 8 Jan 2007 04:33:43 -0800
tim.de.roock@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi guys,

I have a couple of questions concerning sending and storing encypted
files on a server.

http://www.securitybulletins.com/mediawiki/index.php/Encrypted_Backups
is an article I wrote explaining the basics of using GPG to store
backups in an encrypted format using GPG. It might be helpful to you
with your project.

i read your article and it might come in handy for a future project,
but if i understand correctly, you have 2 parties that provide
public/private keys,

You don't understand correctly - in some cases of public/private key
usage, there are two pairs of them (e.g. SSL/TLS when using client
certificates), but this is not needed or even typical. Incidentally, the
public/private keys are not used for the bulk encryption either in
PGP/GPG or SSL/TLS, they're (as far as the encryption part goes) just
used to allow sender and recipient to agree on a dynamically generated
symmetric key for that.

in my case those 2 parties would be the client and
the server, but as i stated in my original post, i do not want to do
any encryption on the server. When the file arrives on the server it
should already be encrypted!

If you replace the tape drive in Doug's text with your server, you get
this situation - the server gets an encrypted data stream and dumps it
to a file without "looking" at it. Later you can retrieve that file,
which means that the client receives a stream of encrypted data that it
can decrypt. In Unix/OpenSSH terms that could be as simple as

gpg [enc-args] < secret_file | ssh user@host 'cat > encrypted_file'

and

ssh user@host cat encrypted_file | gpg [dec-args] > secret_file

- gpg (and other tools) can also encrypt/decrypt without any use of
public/private keys at all (i.e. you get to provide the symmetric key),
but that is kind of beside the point.

The way i see it,
i have to do a streaming encryption, that is while my file is being
uploaded, i encrypt it, like https or sftp, but i do not want the
server to decrypt it.

As can be deduced from Doug's text, and as shown above, gpg (and other
tools) can certainly do streaming encryption, without any need for the
other party to decrypt. But the transport encryptions of SSL/TLS (https)
or SSH (sftp) are just that - transport encryptions. They can't be used
by simply dumping the stream to a file and later decrypt that file.
Among other things the stream includes protocol control information that
must be processed by the receiving party, and at least for SSH the
transport encryption must be undone to get at that information.

Or i do an encryption on the client, and then i upload it, but this
would consume client processor time.

Hm, I assume that you mean that the client then gets to do both the file
(or stream) encryption and the transport encryption? This is true, and
the one you can't do without is the file/stream encryption. I.e. if this
is a concern, you need to use a protocol without transport encryption -
I think this was already pointed out, along with the fact that you don't
need transport encryption per se since the content you're transporting
is already encrypted, but that you probably still need to think about
encryption to protect the authentication phase.

I can't think of any protocols in common use that fits that bill very
well - SSH with public-key authentication and cipher 'none', or SSL/TLS
with client certificate authentication and cipher NULL could work, but
those ciphers, while specified by the standards, are not normally
available. And with current processors, the effort of this "double
encryption", at "Internet speed", shouldn't be a problem (if you want to
do it on a Gigabit Ethernet LAN, things may be different).

--Per Hedeland
per@xxxxxxxxxxxx

  • Re: Auto-update protocol
    ... shared secret/public key is the only way to do the encryption. ... successfully decryption is the authentication. ... you can get using a generic farm server, but TFTP does not have any ... are available and forgo client polling at all ... ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • [NT] Multiple Vulnerabilities in HP Web JetAdmin (Read, Write, Execute, Path Disclosure, Password De
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... HP Web JetAdmin is an enterprise management system for large amounts of HP ... The web server is a modular service ... HP Web JetAdmin uses it's own encryption. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • Re: Advice needed on secure remote datacenter and secure communication
    ... fair bit of time working with windows server, ... as for VPN, ... Addressing your issue with PGP encryption on sensitive files, ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Best way to get large files from a friend?
    ... |> people have "no reasonable expectation of privacy" with email. ... it moves from server to server to get to ... the vpn can intercept it without cracking the encryption. ... able to read people's emails unless there's a *really* good reason, ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: Proposal for Lite Encryption for Login Form without SSL
    ... the form uses javascript to hash the password ... This way the password is not sent to the server ... This would be the equivalent to a public key in public key encryption ...
    (comp.lang.php)