Re: puTTy help

Todd H. wrote:
"fnibogey" <finbogey@xxxxxxxx> writes:

Please help a total noob. I'm using puTty to access a linux server. I
grep strings from compressed directories. I would then like to be able
to search those results on my puTTy screen. Is this possible?

Yes, but it's neither an ssh or putty question really. It's more of a
unix shell question. But try this:

$ strings bigdirectoryiwannagrep/* | grep myfavoritegrepstring | less

Space bar pages down, b takes you back a screen in less anyway,
capital G to get to the end, capital P to get back to teh beginning.

If less isn't available as a pager on that system, try

$ strings bigdirtory/* | grep blah | more

More more info:

$ man less
$ man more

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Thanks Todd, I'll try these.

So I take it there is no way to actually search these results of a grep
short of outputting it to a text file and searching that?

The guy next to me uses a Mac and his terminal program lets him search
the screen. It would save a few steps.

Grant

  • Re: while (1) vs. for ( ;; )
    ... > To bad grep doesn't know how to ignore C comments and literals. ... or is this just a silly objection for the ... Use an editor and fix the problem. ... In cases where 'while' appears inside strings (or ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: puTTy help
    ... grep strings from compressed directories. ... and then pipes that to a program that allows you ... there's another command line program that'll do what you ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: find lines containing identical strings in two files
    ... that are also present as identical AA1234 strings in a saved file. ... created with the 'find' command, contains 'AA1234', and if the ... Any idea what combination of the standard Unix utilities (grep, sed, ... Or take my ealier awk solution; without a temp file and much faster. ...
    (comp.unix.questions)
  • Re: find lines containing identical strings in two files
    ... that are also present as identical AA1234 strings in a saved file. ... Any idea what combination of the standard Unix utilities (grep, sed, ... Michael Tosch @ hp: ... you must use a tempfile: ...
    (comp.unix.questions)
  • Re: Grep through a log file
    ... but the strings in $culist don't appear unmodified in the log ... chomp $culist; ... Next, grep(). ... I tried your script. ...
    (perl.beginners)