Re: SFTP without service on host PC

RoadWarrior wrote:
This is helpful, thanks. Half of the machines are Windows XP and the
other half are Linux (Ubuntu). I would love to use the built-in
features of the OS' file sharing, but I've not be able to access the
machines that way when I'm on the road. I'll typically SSH in and will
need to access files on remote machines. That would have been helpful
to mention in my original post, I know.

If there were something that would interact with the standard file
sharing within each OS, I'd be more than happy to use that. I tried
the VPN route, but it added so much overhead and was a gigantic pain to
set up.

????

set up a single vpn server (linux if possible) then use vtund. About as simple as you can get. No overhead to speak of and takes about 15 minutes to set up the first time, and about 1 minute thereafter. Set up routes and if you really want you can set up samba to forward netbios requests...

--Yan

  • Re: Interrupt performance
    ... This software is optimized for linux and you have to optimize it for freebsd, then you will have the same overhead. ... All those *popular* benchmarks like hping, iperf, netperf have some strange optimizations for linux - we call them linuxism. ... network card generate 14K-18K interrupt per second. ...
    (freebsd-performance)
  • Re: Any analog to NETBIOS for Linux ?
    ... Any analog to NETBIOS for Linux? ... NetBIOS does not provide file sharing. ... linux would be Samba or NFS. ... Samba basically encapsulates all of the necessary Windows file sharing ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Oh happy day, almost
    ... EXTENSIVE database stuff without SQL Server overhead. ... Keep in mind that I'm on Linux, and our database choices are an ... you the overhead in Linux is *much* lower than the overhead in Access on ...
    (rec.collecting.stamps.discuss)
  • Re: Mac OS X and Debian Linux LAN research.
    ... Preparation though involves getting the now isolated Linux box back on my LAN. ... Two considerations are file sharing and capturing system images of the Linux system in my Mac restoration strategy. ... On the Linux box one of my backup techniques is Mondo for bootable DVD system images, and the other is g4l with which I can clone to a local HD and/or image the Linux system to another system via ftp. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Old 486 computer & external CD reader advice needed
    ... As far as "until you try to do something", Word starts much faster on my machine than does Open Office. ... Linux will still lose because X has more overhead but you'll be closer to reality and in return for the X overhead you get the ability to run any X app remotely. ... I haven't specifically timed actual context times or ...
    (Fedora)