Re: SFTP without service on host PC

Todd H. wrote:
gmalbert@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I currently have an SSH server set up on my router, though I've had
it set up on a PC in the past. I connect via SSH2 with pub/private
keys.

What I want to do is use a program like Filezilla to transfer files
from PCs on the same network as the SSH server, but not on the same
PC. In other words, if I have SSH on PC-A, I'd like to connect to
PC-B (same network) and pull/push files to it.

Is that possible to do w/o SSH on the second PC (PC-B, in my case)?
If so, how do I do it? If not, is there an easy way to implement it?
I'd prefer not to install SSH on every PC, and I don't want to have
an FTP server up on every PC.

What OS are these PC's each running?

Any reason you're hesitant to using the OS's built file sharing
capabilities?

There may be reasons to implement an ssh server if you're wanting to
implement strict security and control over the file transferring, but
depending on your environment, this may be overkill.

Cygwin with rsync over SSH is also very effective if you just want to push
snapshots of the contents of client machines.

  • Re: Safest way of accessing a home computer from outside?
    ... what if I my router doesent have a public IP ... use for ssh is forwarded to your ssh server. ... You can find Hamachi at ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Setting up SSH on Snow Leopard
    ... a Terminal window on the Mac and try "ssh localhost". ... authentication methods, and is either of those preferred from a security ... the most secure configuration will offer the least amount ... If you want to harden your SSH server, ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Safest way of accessing a home computer from outside?
    ... what if I my router doesent have a public IP ... I agree - ssh with no password and then use certificates to ... use for ssh is forwarded to your ssh server. ... You can find Hamachi at ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: GSSAPI auth and NAT Problems
    ... The first named alias is used for your ticket generation. ... kerberos server and the ssh server I want to connect to are behind a nat. ... Port forwads are done by iptables on my virtual-machine-host. ...
    (comp.protocols.kerberos)