Re: SFTP without service on host PC

gmalbert@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I currently have an SSH server set up on my router, though I've had it
set up on a PC in the past. I connect via SSH2 with pub/private keys.

What I want to do is use a program like Filezilla to transfer files
from PCs on the same network as the SSH server, but not on the same PC.
In other words, if I have SSH on PC-A, I'd like to connect to PC-B
(same network) and pull/push files to it.

Is that possible to do w/o SSH on the second PC (PC-B, in my case)? If
so, how do I do it? If not, is there an easy way to implement it? I'd
prefer not to install SSH on every PC, and I don't want to have an FTP
server up on every PC.

What OS are these PC's each running?

Any reason you're hesitant to using the OS's built file sharing
capabilities?

There may be reasons to implement an ssh server if you're wanting to
implement strict security and control over the file transferring, but
depending on your environment, this may be overkill.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

  • Re: CAT 5 vs CAT 6
    ... Actually the computers on the network all have gigabit NIC's, ... reason for gigabit was to be able to transfer files back and forth ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: SFTP without service on host PC
    ... In other words, if I have SSH on PC-A, I'd like to connect to ... PC-B (same network) and pull/push files to it. ... Any reason you're hesitant to using the OS's built file sharing ... There may be reasons to implement an ssh server if you're wanting to ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: Remote Control PC behind broadband router?
    ... You could run the SSH server on the XP box or some LINUX ... Otherwise you can also port forward more than one port through your router ... you really need to check with your office network ...
  • Re: ssh and hosts.allow; purpose of ssh
    ... nickd> access based on source IP is definitely a win. ... accessing the SSH server from a home cable modem connection. ... since he's on the same subnet with you; ... If he is elsewhere in the network, then he may have to subvert some number ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: bar root login from any but 192.168.0/16
    ... >> How can I bar root login via ssh but only from somewhere besides my ... > port forwarding to your SSH server, ... I assumed port 22 is open to external networks, ... access to be available from there, just internal network. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)