Re: McAfee and CygWin SSH

Darren Tucker wrote:
On 2006-08-17, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Darren Tucker wrote:
This is the point where sshd re-execs itself to handle the new
connection. I suspect that this is failing for because of some
change that occurred when you installed the software (PATH, maybe?)

You can prevent the re-exec by adding "-r" to sshd's command line.

OK, that worked. So it looks like's definitely happening at the
re-exec, darn it. I'm not familiar enough Windows internals to get
into this, and my raw SSH coding is pretty rusty. Any ideas other
than "run it from inetd"?

You can run sshd as a daemon with -r too.

It seemed to exit after a single connection. I'm wondering if I should try
running out of inetd.

(Dig, dig, dig.)

Ahh, that only happened if I used the "-d" option as well. It seems to be
operating now by using the flags "-D -r" instead of just -D, which is what
CygWin's ssh-host-config sets it up for.

Hmm. Is this a change that should be pushed through CygWin's setup tools?
And to the manpage for sshd?

  • Re: SSH Solaris
    ... and just call an external script to send you ... If you are not running the sshd ... managed by inetd. ... First, each connection is a new instance of the sshd daemon, so it ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: ssh fails with xinetd
    ... Ever since, I can't seem to get an ssh connection to the box, which ... spawned by inetd when there's a connection request. ... Note that the man page for sshd says: ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: ssh_exchange_identification uClinux problem
    ... By default sshd does not let root login into a server. ... Connection closed by foreign host. ... inetd started sshd or logged an error. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: problem with sshd
    ... >]I am trying to run sshd on powerPC/Linux ... >]establishes the connection, I can see sshd ... >]daemon or in the foreground. ... Why are you trying to run it through inetd? ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Root .profile $PS prompts showing for all telnet connections from all users ?
    ... Following wrong method when restarting inetd (seems ... The server I am working on is a V880 with Solaris 8 and recent patching. ... My main problem is when -ANY- user logs-in to my Solaris 8 server over telnet, ... I do not see this problem using any other remote connection utility like ...
    (SunManagers)