Re: McAfee and CygWin SSH

"Mike Lowery" <michael.j.lowery@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:J45EBF.29v@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Nico Kadel-Garcia" <nkadel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:5f2dnZFvn-nPMn7ZnZ2dnUVZ_qGdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I've got a problem: I had CygWin sshd runing fine on Windows XP Home a
week or so ago, then changed my anti-virus to a current version of
McAfee. Suddenly, I can't get it working, and the error messages are less
than informative.Attempts to ssh to localhost, even with the firewall
turned off, are failing.

It's not clear to me that it's McAfee biting me, sinice lots of
references to such problems exist but they vary wildly in their reported
problem and fix. Has anyone been through this lately, and gotten it
actually working?

If your version of McAfee includes the "Buffer Overflow Protection"
feature, modify your installation of McAfee and REMOVE IT (red "X".)

I'm afraid I don't see that feature: I'm using the current "McAfee Security
Center" provided by Comcast, with the Firewall, VirusScan (which turn out to
be OK) and the Privacy Service (which is the booby trap that scraps up SSHD,
even if disabled).

  • Re: What is broken:McAfeee firewall or my router ????? Urgent, ple
    ... your computer regardless of what McAfee firewall said. ... If your router is ... warned about those ports being available right away if you had any of those ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: What is broken:McAfeee firewall or my router ????? Urgent, ple
    ... your computer regardless of what McAfee firewall said. ... If your router is ... warned about those ports being available right away if you had any of those ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Keeping my pc safe
    ... security solution by using different free products. ... Panda which is a far superior paid solution and a far better one than Norton. ... I do not have a great deal of information of McAfee, ... yet the firewall ...
  • Re: Network is unaccessible, incorrect function.
    ... don't know why I didn't try uninstaling McAfee ... firewall - I guess I assumed disabling it did the same thing. ... The Computer Browser service is running on all machines. ...
  • Re: mcafee firewall exception in CPD.exe
    ... I scanned all drives with Stinger and with Mcafee, both on Safe Mode, ... firewall for them to do ... closing the browser or disconnecting from the net. ... >> All windows update applied to OS and browser ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)