McAfee and CygWin SSH

I've got a problem: I had CygWin sshd runing fine on Windows XP Home a week
or so ago, then changed my anti-virus to a current version of McAfee.
Suddenly, I can't get it working, and the error messages are less than
informative.Attempts to ssh to localhost, even with the firewall turned off,
are failing.

It's not clear to me that it's McAfee biting me, sinice lots of references
to such problems exist but they vary wildly in their reported problem and
fix. Has anyone been through this lately, and gotten it actually working?

.