Re: Benefits of VNC over RDP

Andrew Schulman <andrex@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

darkmoo <nospam@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

I've seen alot of outsourced IT companies use VNC on every machine they
remotely manage for client sites. Whats the benefit of using VNC
(tightvnc) over RDP?

First I'm curious what this has to do with ssh. If you don't get

Both VNC and RDP are commonly tunneled over ssh, which I guess is why he
asked about it here. Still it's somewhat OT.

Cost and cross platform benefits are two I can think of.

I've read claims that RDP is more bandwidth-efficient => faster over slow
links, but I haven't tried to compare them.

The way RDP is implemented on workstations like win2k which are still
out there in big numbers I think is another wrinkle. I'm not sure
if you can RDP to win2k pro? At least not without a separate
license.

Yes, you can in Win2K. WinXP home doesn't include it, but WinXP pro
does.

Do you need a separate license for terminal services or what not for
win2k pro (i.e. non win2k server)?

Doesn't winxp home have that remote assistance thingee in it? I've
never been terrribly clear on how if at all that related to RDP.

Sorry to meander, but my curiosity has been piqued. I'm not terribly
up on the implementation details of RDP and would be interested in
knowing more. Tis an interesting discussion.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

  • Re: Misread the post
    ... I even use VNC sometimes instead of RDP if all I need to do is to see ... Although I don't use GoToMyPC for customer/client support, ... Take a look at shadow sessions on RDP and remote support ... ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: remote desktop issues
    ... We use SMS remote control for virtually any situation where Remote ... Would enabling RDP also enable R.A, ... If my request to allow RDP to XP workstations were granted, ...
  • Re: remote desktop issues
    ... We use SMS remote control for virtually any situation where Remote ... Would enabling RDP also enable R.A, ... If my request to allow RDP to XP workstations were granted, ...
  • Re: remote desktop issues
    ... We use SMS remote control for virtually any situation where Remote ... Would enabling RDP also enable R.A, ... If my request to allow RDP to XP workstations were granted, ...
  • Re: Re: Remote connections
    ... Something else you may try is using PuTTY with VNC (or possibly RDP). ... > connection through the SSH connection. ... > Aside from creating a VPN tunnel and then performing a Remote Desktop ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)