Re: SFTP working but not SSH

shalinikolli@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
I wanted to know if the Port is open for SFTP, should it work for SSH
also OR should I have a port available for SSH on the Host server. if
Yes Can the port for SSH and SFTP be the same?

There is no port difference, they are the same. Everything connects on
port 22. But after connecting, the server must run a program. The
default for 'ssh' is to run a local shell. For 'sftp', it'll run a sftp
server.

It sounds like instead the account runs a specific program that
interprets the incoming request and prints a denial and exits if that
request is not for sftp.

--
Darren Dunham ddunham@xxxxxxxx

  • Re: SSH: remote login returns "invalid user"
    ... host mail.harlley-consultants.com ... server rather than web server? ... If they have the right server software running (mail, web, ssh daemon) then that software picks up the request. ... When you want to send mail to xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, your mail server looks up the MX record for hartley-consultants and sends it to port 25 on the machine pointed to. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: ipfw and nmap
    ... > even be correct but I have a bsd box that is simply providing me SSH ... add allow tcp from any to me 22 setup in via fxp0 keep-state ... Note too that there is nothing to prevent port scanners simply setting ... the 'SYN' flag in the probe packets they send to your server. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Remote Desktop directly to another computer on the network
    ... default port... ... And there is no reason for me to believe that ssh ... When I have a multibillion company I will use the key pair, ... WinSCP for that to access my home SSH server. ...
  • Re: need help for setting SSH Server for Windows XP
    ... In my windows firewall proper ports are opened. ... Changing from port 22 to ports 80, 443 also doesn't give any results. ... static LAN IP of the server PC. ... It is *NOT* a valid test to call the SSH server PC from another ...
  • Re: Port Forwarding -- Checking to be sure I understand it
    ... They run an ssh ... server and VNC service. ... If you want to run the tunnel over some port other than 22 (the ... restrictive firewalls that deny all incoming connections and block most ...
    (comp.security.ssh)