Re: Bypass firewall

Mike Lowery wrote:
http://www.buzzsurf.com/surfatwork/

<andreasfriis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:1149247749.277644.307840@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi!

I can bypass the firewall of my university using putty and the proxy
setting to connect to an smtp server. I can type in smtp commands in
the putty window and it work great, but is it possible for me to
somehow connect my thunderbird client to putty so that I can use my
mailclient to send my mails instead.

BR
Andreas

Mike,

This sounds like a simple port forwarding issue.

From the Putty configuration window goto:
Connection=>SSH=>Tunnels

In the "Add new Forwarded port:" enter these ports:
Source ports:
25 (smtp traffic for sendinf mail)
110 (pop3 for recieving mail)

destination would be 127.0.0.1 if the machine your connecting to is the mail server. Otherwise enter the IP address of the mail server in the destination box.

With these settings in place open a putty session as you did before and try using Thunderbird.

Note Thunderbird will need to be configured to uses an SMTP server at 127.0.0.1 and a pop3 server at 127.0.0.1.

(127.0.0.1 is the local host.)

  • Re: Bypass firewall
    ... I can bypass the firewall of my university using putty and the proxy ... setting to connect to an smtp server. ... Tools - Options - General - Connection Settings. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: CORE-2004-0705: Vulnerabilities in PuTTY and PSCP
    ... difficult to exploit w/o modifying source for an ssl server. ... packets, got hexdumps of the packets, wrote a prog to pretend to be an ssl ... or build packets with the ssl functions used in putty.. ... Vulnerabilities in PuTTY and PSCP ...
    (Vuln-Dev)
  • Re: Outlook Express error when sending email
    ... >> with McAfee Antivirus and Firewall disabled. ... >> Looking on MS's Knowledge Base, the error means "0x800CCC0B BUSY Server ... >> The SMTP server was definitely correct - it was the same ISP and same ... > make a clean installation. ...
    (uk.comp.misc)
  • Re: 554 : Recipient address rejected: Relay acces
    ... What I expect is that telus will only, by default, let people use their SMTP server to relay email when they are connecting via the telus network on a telus IP address ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • PuTTY suddenly stopped working (WinXPsp2 to FreeBSD5.4)
    ... assumption is that the problem is on the Client machine. ... On the Server ... ... Open a PuTTY session and I am prompted for a username. ... Event Log: Writing new session log to file: ...
    (comp.security.ssh)