Re: after solaris 8 restore on different server - openssh refuses to start: PRNG is not seeded

On 2006-05-31, Tom V <tvanover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
We have restored a solaris 8 system on another server (same model),
everything is fine, except that the ssh daemon refuses to start. It gives
the error 'PRNG is not seeded'.
[...]
While googling, i've found many references to the random device that
doesn't exist (it does on my server), or on a patch that would be
necessary, but as we're talking about a restore from a system where sshd
was working, i think i need to look in another direction ?

No, that's probably the problem. You need to install patch 112438-03 (*and
reboot*, if you haven't already).

If that's not it, make sure that /dev/random and friends exist and are
readable (on Solaris they're usually symlinks pointing to the real device
nodes under /devices someplace, so check these too).

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.