can't turn off ssh password access on my new solaris box

hi all,

i've spent about 4 hours now googling around, trying to figure out why
solaris 8 install of ssh and my solaris 10 install behave differently.
the problem i'm having is that i cannot turn off password access to my
solaris 10 machine.

i'm using the same version of ssh in both cases, OpenSSH_4.3p2,
OpenSSL 0.9.8a 11 Oct 2005 and i'm using the same sshd_config file with
"PasswordAuthentication no" in both

when i ssh to the solaris machine is does prompt me for my private key
passphrase but if i just hit return it comes back with a prompt for my
unix passwd

eg:
where host2 is a solaris 10 machine
[host1:~] steve% ssh host2
Enter passphrase for key '/Users/steve/.ssh/id_rsa': <CR>
Password:

where host3 is a solaris 10 machine
[host1:~] steve% ssh host3
Enter passphrase for key '/Users/steve/.ssh/id_rsa': <CR>
Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive).

i'm using sshd -f /usr/local/etc/sshd_config when i start ssh in
/etc/init.d so there's no confusion over which sshd_config i should be
using..

can anyone suggest why i can't turn off ssh password access on my
solaris 10 machine?

thx!